10026Re: ink from a Dead Sea Scroll made near the Dead Sea

  • theodc25
    Mar 1, 2009
      Quite close to Qumran, is the Buqe'ah Valley which has substantial
      evidence of intensive agricultural production including dams,
      terraces, and walls built for pools. The major sites in valley are
      Khirbet Abu Tabaq, Khirbet es-Samrah, and Khirbet el-Maqari partially
      excavated by Cross and Milik, and further research was done by Stager.
      The sites, terracing, and dams are all dated around the 8th/7th
      century BCE based on lmlk jars and other pottery found at the sites.

      It has been suggested that much of this area was reused in the 3rd
      cent BCE-1st cent CE, because of the close proximity of Hyrcania, a
      Roman road running through the valley to Qumran, and some late
      Hellenistic/early Roman pottery that was found at the forts. Also I
      thought there were dams around Masada?

      Owen Chesnut
      Ph.D. Candidate
      Andrews University

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "dastacey62" <DAVID.STACEY63@...> wrote:

      > Well Joe, that's odd - there are no major dams at Masada or Jericho
      > where you say they are necessary, and in fact the only two major
      > Second Temple dams are in Caesarea and Jerusalem where you say they
      > are unnecessary... curioser and curiouser
      >
      > David Stacey
      >
      > UK
      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Zias" <joezias@> wrote:
      > >
      > > David Stacey on the subject of dams in antiquity writes "If it was
      > all so
      > > easy why didn't every Tom, Dick or Harry build dams all over the
      > country?"
      > > The answer is simple, in the desert areas where rain fall is
      > minimal as in
      > > Masada, Qumran and Jericho, dams are necessary to collect runoff
      > from higher
      > > elevations. In areas where there is adequate seasonal rainfall or
      > springs,
      > > such as Jerusalem, Caesarea, Beit Shean ect, they are unnecessary.
      > >

      > > Joe Zias

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic