10018Re: ink from a Dead Sea Scroll made near the Dead Sea

  • dastacey62
    Mar 1, 2009
      Stephen, As the latest DSD will probably not reach CUL shelves for
      some time could you perhaps tell us whether 1. the authors suggest a
      source for the gall nuts (quercus ilex are found in the Galil, but
      I've never seen them around the Dead Sea); and 2. whether they
      suggest that the presence of bromine and chlorine was 'accidental' or
      was deliberately chosen because in some way it made better ink? In an
      earlier analysis (Archaeometry 38:1 2007)of red ink from the scrolls
      it was determined that cinnabar was used, probably imported from
      Spain, and that "the use of cinnabar has been discovered so far only
      in the Third Winter Palace of Herod the Great in Jericho".....

      David Stacey

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:

      > A new article reports measurements of the ratio of chlorine and
      bromine in ink
      > from a Qumran Cave One manuscript and concludes that the ink was
      prepared with
      > water from or near the Dead Sea; the Qumran scroll was inscribed
      near the Dead
      > Sea.
      >
      > Ira Rabin, Oliver Hahn, Timo Wolff, Admir Masic and Gisela
      Weinberg, "On the
      > Origin of the Ink of the Thanksgiving Scroll (1QHodayot a)," Dead
      Sea
      > Discoveries 16.1 (2009) 97-106.
      >
      > Abstract (p. 97): "In this study we demonstrate the possibility to
      > identify the
      > production area of the scrolls, coupling non-destructive
      quantitative analysis
      > of trace elements to spectroscopic investigation of the inks. This
      approach,
      > that allowed us to determine the Dead Sea area as origin of
      1QHodayot a, is of
      > general validity."
      >
      > Conclusion (p. 102) "Using the fingerprint composition of the water
      from the
      > Dead Sea region we could directly link the fragment, and
      consequently, the
      > production of 1QHodayot a to the Qumran area. Furthermore, our
      study of
      > organic
      > components present in the carbon ink of this scroll indicates that
      gall nuts
      > extracts were used in the ink preparation as early as 1st century
      C.E."

      > Stephen Goranson
      > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson/Essenes_&_Others.pdf
      > "Others and Intra-Jewish Polemic as Reflected in Qumran Texts"

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic