WoR:Trial by Battle

  • M.G.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2010
      Just a note to say how much I enjoy using the Wars of the Roses rules adaption by Graham Evans (Trial by Battle) in the files section.

      I started this period in the 1970's using the Skytrex rules by Ed Smith. The Poleaxed rules (Lance & Longbow Soc.) are also very good, but require a lot of paper recording and are best with multi=players each side.

      I think I detect the influence of these sets in the Trial adaptions.

      My own "tweeks" include :
      - mixed units of Bows and Foot (as suggested by the Renaissance section in the Intro to wargames book). The mixed units of four (2 ranks of 2) are a front rank of foot, backed by a second of bows. The bows shoot taking the range from the front of the unit.
      - random movement for each contingent in a battle

      With the release of the new Perry plastic WoR figs, I expect a bit of a surge in interest in the period. Does anyone else use these adaptions, and if so, how do you find them?

      TTFN
    • Graham Evans
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2010
        > Just a note to say how much I enjoy using the Wars of the Roses rules
        > adaption by Graham Evans (Trial by Battle) in the files section.

        Glad you are enjoying them. You post these things then wonder if anyone ever
        reads them, let alone play them.

        > I started this period in the 1970's using the Skytrex rules by Ed Smith.
        > The Poleaxed rules (Lance & Longbow Soc.) are also very good, but require
        > a lot of paper recording and are best with multi=players each side.
        >
        > I think I detect the influence of these sets in the Trial adaptions.

        Coincidence. I own Poleaxed, but never played them. Don't own, never played,
        Ed Smith's rules

        > My own "tweeks" include :
        > - mixed units of Bows and Foot (as suggested by the Renaissance section in
        > the Intro to wargames book). The mixed units of four (2 ranks of 2) are a
        > front rank of foot, backed by a second of bows. The bows shoot taking the
        > range from the front of the unit.
        > - random movement for each contingent in a battle

        Interested in your random movement idea. I dumped this in an earlier set as
        it made the battles break up which I felt was not really what happened
        historically.

        Graham