Re: Hello Grammar!

  • Sharon Bidwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hahaha. Thanks Lizzie. I have to say the editor blew me away. Yes, we
      write 'realise', not 'realize', though both are acceptable over here,
      but I can't help automatically typing my preferred way. The teacher I
      mentioned still gives me nightmares. She would try to 'shame' you into
      learning but showing you up in front of the other children. It's not a
      question of being posh etc., but just being able to present yourself
      well and communicate, which is important at certain times in your
      life. You know, a friend of mine nearly died with embarrassment when
      she wrote 'fink' in a letter instead of 'think'. It was due to all the
      texting she does. LOL!
      Shaz
      --- In AMP_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Lizzie T Leaf"
      <lizzietleaf@...> wrote:

      > --- Loved your blog, Sharon, especially the comment on the
      > editor...LOL. He obviously hasn't met some of my realatives. Hell,
      > I'm not sure what they're saying at times when I make a journey back
      > to my home town. I listen to them and some of the people I went to
      > high school with and think...there, but for the grace of God, go I.
      > They went to the same schools I did, but somehow didn't make the
      > connection.
      >
      > Far from perfect, but could be worse,
      > Lizzie
      >

      > In AMP_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Bidwell"
      > <theviewoveraonia@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Whoops. I must be in a mood. I had a rant. LOL!
      > > If you want a laugh, check out my grammar complaint.
      > > :o) Shaz
      > > http://aonia.blogspot.com/

    • Editor - Aspen Mountain Press
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        Realise..now that's a word I didn't realize that a British spelling.

        Sandra
        EiC
        Aspen Mountain Press www.aspenmountainpress.com
        Adventure, Mystery, Passion
        <lizzietleaf@ ...> wrote:

        > --- Loved your blog, Sharon, especially the comment on the
        > editor...LOL. He obviously hasn't met some of my realatives. Hell,
        > I'm not sure what they're saying at times when I make a journey back
        > to my home town. I listen to them and some of the people I went to
        > high school with and think...there, but for the grace of God, go I.
        > They went to the same schools I did, but somehow didn't make the
        > connection.
        >
        > Far from perfect, but could be worse,
        > Lizzie
        >

        > In AMP_Community@ yahoogroups. com, "Sharon Bidwell"
        > <theviewoveraonia@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > Whoops. I must be in a mood. I had a rant. LOL!
        > > If you want a laugh, check out my grammar complaint.
        > > :o) Shaz
        > > http://aonia. blogspot. com/

      • Sharon Bidwell
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
          Short lesson <evil g>. I did check with the books and other authors
          about this. Realise/realize - in this instance, both s and z are
          'acceptable' BUT z is considered by some to be American and generally
          to be old-fashioned. `S' is more common and I have to admit, the way I
          automatically write. In the case of s versus z generally, in the UK
          all words can be s but not all can be z. There, clear as mud. Also, we
          use two L's where the US spelling would have one and we use a 'u'
          where you don't, so traveled for us is travelled and color is colour.
          We also don't tend to write Mr. - too old-fashioned. It's just Mr
          without the full-stop.

          :o) Shaz

          --- In AMP_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Editor - Aspen Mountain Press"