New Concept?

  • jan_p_cack
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2005
      Hello,
      A little while back I had an idea and want to share it. Please feel
      free to e-mail me your thoughts and opinions. I have not made any
      pics yet so I hope I can adequetly describe this concept for you.
      If you had 2 very large diameter wheels, side by side, with enough
      distance between them to suspend a carriage big enough to carry 1
      person. Consider these "wheels" to be spokeless, without a center of
      any kind, and a smooth rim for "guided rollers". The "carriage
      assembly" would be "free spinning" on the rims with multiple roller
      assemblys. This will provide the least obstructions and easily
      enable a low center of gravity for stability. In a neutral state the
      weight of the carriage would "balance" itself on the inside of the
      wheels.
      Incorperated into the carriage would be a "flywheel" of ample
      size/weight. this flywheel could be "powered" by many different
      sources but, for simplicity, consider human/pedal power. This
      flywheel would be orientated the same direction as the wheels,
      spinning at a very high rpm. I believe the "torque" created by the
      flywheel would be enough to "shift" your center of gravity. If the
      weight is shifted foward this would force the "vehicle" to roll
      foward. This seems like a pretty effecient form of "inertial
      propulsion".
      That is the basic concept in its simpliest form. I have been
      thinking beyond this and wondered if you manually pivot the flywheel
      on its axis, as it's spinning, will this create a "pivot" reaction
      on the vehicle for a controlled turn? I also thought if you use 2
      flywheels and could build/buy a "syncro-mesh, variable speed,
      counter-rotating gearbox assembly", something that could "transfer"
      torque/rpm's from one flywheel to the other this may provide for a
      controlled forward/reverse reaction.
      I cannot imagine this form, or variable, to be any more than a
      whimsical toy. Maybe someone else can realize more potential in
      this, it just came to me and seemed kinda cool and interesting.
      Looking forward to your responses.
      Jan P. Cack
    • hustierhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2005
        Hello Jan,

        sorry I don't see why your idea should work. I don't see:
        "torque" created by the flywheel would be enough to "shift" your
        center of gravity"
        ADD A DRAWING to your description, otherwise nobody will understand
        it.

        Hubert Stierhof

        --- In AMBIENTENERGY@yahoogroups.com, "jan_p_cack" <jan_p_cack@y...>