Trencherman II

  • William Solomon
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2005
      Please excuse this cross posting.
      I'm trying to cast the widest net possible.

      I am interested in buying the Trencherman II Mini Backhoe Mfg. by
      North Star and sold by Northern Tool. [NorthernTool P#4065]

      I am looking for anyone who has operated one of these, or knows of
      someone who has done so.

      It would help me a great deal to speak, or correspond, with such a
      person to get the benefit of their experience with this machine.

      I am trying to answer the question: Is this machine a truly useful
      tool, or is it one of those "good ideas that didn't work out"?
      Or, can it do useful amounts of work, or is it too
      small/light/underpowered to be of much real use?
      Specifically, can it dig through very dense, hard Virginia clay
      subsoil and "rotten rock", or is that asking too much? Speed is not
      the question.
      I know a full sized, tractor-mounted back-hoe can handle this job. But
      the tractor is 4-6 times heavier and thus provides a more substantial
      base to operate from.

      I would greatly appreciate any leads toward answering these questions.

      Wynn
      Shenandoah Valley, Virginia