Big Brother (Yahoo) is watching

  • Mike Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2003
      Hi,
      I thought that this link might be of interest to anyone receiving
      messages from a yahoogroups email list. Click on the link below for a
      full explanation from Yahoo.
      In essence, yahoo uses hidden trackers in its network. They are even
      embedded in the emails that you receive from the groups. They know who
      you are, when you open the message and how you act on it.
      So much for privacy. It says that you can opt-out though.
      Link: http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
      MJ
      Quote: "HTML Mail Yahoo!'s practice is to include web beacons in
      HTML-formatted email messages (messages that include graphics) that
      Yahoo!, or its agents, sends in order to determine which email messages
      were opened and to note whether a message was acted upon."
    • Phil Karn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2003
        Mike Johnston wrote:

        > In essence, yahoo uses hidden trackers in its network. They are even
        > embedded in the emails that you receive from the groups.

        Depending on your email user agent, it's actually quite easy to block
        these things. In the latest version of Mozilla, pull down the Edit menu
        and select Preferences. Expand the Privacy & Security heading, if
        necessary. Select "Images". Turn on the switch labeled "Do not load
        remote images in Mail & Newsgroup messages".

        This is a good idea in general, as much spam (especially porno spam)
        consists of relatively small pieces of HTML that load remote images off
        the web that carry most of the ad.

        Phil