Re: Fw: [FREE_POWER] 10-29-02

  • Phil Karn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2002
      > From: Boyd Cantrell

      > Think about your statement (or is it Phils?). It says that we
      can't use a conventional refrigeration system and we can't use a
      conventional Heat engine. Now think about that. My reasoning says
      that you don't need to through both out. To your way of thinking you
      could use a conventional refrigeration system if you found a more
      efficient type of Heat engine. Or visa versa.

      The plain, simple fact is that even an *ideal* refrigerator connected
      to an *ideal* heat engine cannot convert ambient heat energy to useful
      work.

      By "ideal refrigerator" I mean one with the highest COP permitted by
      the specified input and output temperatures, and by "ideal heat
      engine" I mean one operating at the maximum possible efficiency
      dictated by the same pair of temperatures. Since one is the reciprocal
      of the other, their product is unity and no net energy is produced.

      Any real heat engine will operate at less than the theoretical
      efficiency, and any real refrigerator will have a COP less than the
      theoretical maximum, so their product will always be less than one. So
      no matter *how* clever you are in your designs, any real refrigerator
      connected to any real heat engine will not run without the application
      of external work, and this external work will be entirely wasted as
      heat.