Re: [AMBIENTENERGY] Re: expansion of super heated steam

  • BobDMorris@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2001
      In a message dated 05/16/2001 6:38:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      bmc@... writes:

      << Bob, Do the tables tell the how many times the steam expands when
      superheated to a temperature that they used to use in the old steam
      locomotives?

      [No...but there is some data regarding engines and turbines. The highest
      pressure shown in the data is 1000 PSIG. That pressure provides nothing near
      the 13,000 times you mention.]

      I watched a documentary about the old locomotives. An old Engineer said
      that the steam expanded 13,000 times. Some one else pointed out to me that
      the boiler would melt at the temperature it would take to make it expand
      13,000 times.

      [Based on the limit of my charts, steam pressure would need to be over 30,000
      PSIG. ASME would require a safety factor so we talking 120,000 PSIG for
      testing. I don't think so!!!]

      I worked out a figure (below the melting point of iron) that came to about
      3,500 times. How doe your tables compare with that?

      [The charts go to 15,000 PSIA and 1,500 F. Expanding from there down to 1
      PSIA and 300 F, the expansion ratio is 6,555. When you are testing this
      apparatus, please let me know: I'm visiting India.]

      It's not really important. I was just curious about an Engineer doing
      something for so many years and being so wrong about it.

      [You hit on something that is so important to this group...science is
      sometimes wrong. An example, the book of Psalms was written about 2,000
      years before the scientific community finally accepted the earth to be round,
      not flat. The Psalmist used an example that speaks of the east and west
      being an eternity apart, meaning geometrically circular (Psalms 103:12). The
      scientific community will change...when proven so. Looks like we may have to
      sail arround the world, guys and gals!!!]

      Boyd >>