Re: [AMBIENTENERGY] Fwd: Re: Magnet refrigeration

  • Charles Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2002
      --- kirk <kirk@...> wrote:
      > I don't think gadolinium's operating range is cold enough for
      > food
      > preservation.
      > We were looking at it to cool avionics over 10 years ago.
      > At that time it was $200 a pound. Compared to $30 a gram at
      > lab supply
      > companies that is a lot cheaper.
      > Gadolinium is pretty reactive. You would have to plate
      > something over it to
      > protect it from oxygen and water.
      >
      > Kirk

      Kirk:

      Yes. In the case of the video head it is coated with acrylic.

      Another thought is that the ultimate final cooling medium is
      air. Why not go direct? Skip the losses of moving that water
      around. Plus I was thinking that maybe they are approaching it
      all wrong. Recycle hard disk plates. :-) They are already
      built into the right shape.

      =====
      Charles Ford
      KC5-OWZ
      cjford1@...
      cjford1@...

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • kirk
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2002
        I think the best method is a hot side and a cold side, the material inside
        in a vacuum.
        A box shaped like a book with the gadolinium visiting the cover then the
        back.
        If you expose it to air a metal would be the best coating.
        needs to be thick enough that you don't get a hole.
        It will self destruct if you do.
        Gadolinium is shipped in argon.

        Kirk