All eyes on Menlo Park on Tues

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 12:56 PM
    There's a PA Post story today on it, and also:

    Menlo Park to come up with 1,975 more homes under terms of legal settlement

    By Bonnie Eslinger

    Daily News Staff Writer

    Menlo Park will do some rezoning and create incentives to spark construction of new homes -- including more than 1,000 for very-low to moderate-income families -- according to the terms of a lawsuit settlement that goes to the city council Tuesday for approval.....

    and

    Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

    Menlo Park settles housing lawsuit
    City commits to updating plan, finding affordable housing sites

    Bookmark and Share
    Identifying sites for affordable housing just jumped to the top of Menlo Park's priority list, according to a lawsuit settlement agreement released Thursday (May 17). Three housing advocacy groups filed the suit yesterday, alleging that the city has failed to comply with state-mandated housing laws.

    The city plans to hold a series of community workshops in July and August to get public input on the proposed changes in order to finish the update by next spring.

    "We want and need the community's help in deciding how and where we can plan for additional and high density housing in Menlo Park. If we work together, we can come up with a plan tailored to our community that will meet our needs and comply with state law," Mayor Kirsten Keith said.

    http://www.almanacnews.com/news/show_story.php?id=11251

    Reminder to all those on our own city's lack of progress: we are the only city in our county who has failed to submit a housing element to-date.

    Three city's housing elements were ruled out of compliance; the rest are certified.  See attachment.

    And the significance of the MP 'settlement' if it is agreed to?

    Check out what Public Advocates (the group doing the suing on behalf of 3 local non-profits) is capable of doing:

    Residential Growth Cap Overruling Could Reshape California

    Irvin Dawid
    753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
    650-283-6534 (cell)