Re: [ALPA_Forum] Save the Date: Ryan Avent at Stanford on Thurs., April 19 - cosponsored by Urban Studies/Stanford

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
    Thanks, Bruce - hopefully some ALPA YIMBYS will attend and report on how he does address NIMBYISM.  Regrettably, the PA Rail Corridor Task Force has a public workshop that conflicts - I'm on it.
  • Bruce Liedstrand
    Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hi Irvin:

      Thanks for your note.  I will be attending the Greenbelt Alliance meeting.

      I hope the Rail Corridor Task Force does well.   We really need HSR in California and an effective connection to the Peninsula and San Francisco.  I was also hoping that the HSR would provide the opportunity and the funding to eliminate the present Caltrain barrier that divides so many communities.  Unfortunately, most of the discussion is about resisting change rather than using change to make the Peninsula a more livable place.

      Bruce

      On Mar 20, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Irvin Dawid wrote:

      Thanks, Bruce - hopefully some ALPA YIMBYS will attend and report on how he does address NIMBYISM.  Regrettably, the PA Rail Corridor Task Force has a public workshop that conflicts - I'm on it.
      <PARC CmtyMtg flyer 120314 (1).pdf>

      Regards,

      Irvin Dawid
      irvindawid@...
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301

      On Mar 20, 2012, at 12:12 PM, BRUCE LIEDSTRAND wrote:

      Good book in the economy but bad on dealing with NIMBYism.

      Bruce

      On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Irvin Dawid <irvindawid@...> wrote:

      FYI

      Ryan Avent's The Gated City: Are NIMBYs Killing The Economy? (Book Review)

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Stephanie Reyes <stephanie_s_reyes@...>
      Subject: [SLU-COMM] Fw: Save the Date: Ryan Avent at Stanford on Thurs., April 19
      Date: March 19, 2012 2:26:26 PM PDT

      Hi SLU members,
      See below for a very exciting event that Greenbelt Alliance is hosting at Stanford.  Please forward widely!
      Stephanie

      Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2012
        Bruce,
        Hopefully you'll give some feedback on the GA meeting at Stanford on the Ayent presentation.
        Re. the rail corridor task force, do note that we are pretty divorced from HSR.
        While we started with a relationship to HSR, planning staff and council made it clear they don't want us to dealing with those issue - which will remain the province of the council's rail committee.
        SPEAKING of which - they meet tomorrow morning - I hope to attend:

        THURSDAY, MARCH 22
        City Council Rail Committee Meeting, 8:30 AM, council conference room

        1. Roll Call
        2. Oral Communications
        3. Report from the Professional Evaluation Group, Inc.
        4. Legislative Positions and Testimony
        5. Status of Proposed Memorandum of Understanding Between Caltrain and CHSRA
        6. Reports on Meetings
        - California High Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) Board
        - Peninsula Cities Consortium (PCC)
        - State Senate Committee of March 13 in Mountain View

        Bruce and others - did you attend the state hearing held last week in Mtn View on HSR convened by Simitian?
        Kudos to Joe on scheduling it there and allowing everyone to comment.

        From: Stephanie Reyes <stephanie_s_reyes@...>
        Date: March 19, 2012 2:26:26 PM PDT