Re: [UnivSouth] Sierra Club letter re 355 Alma St

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2012
      Bob,
      Thanks for including my email - your comments will now go to our land use committee below my reply....

      Neighbors,

      If you haven't done so, go to the University Av station when downtown workers commute home ...check out the station platform for northbound trains around 5-6pm.....it's a scene from any big city area with so many of our downtown (and environs) work places choosing to commute by Caltrain.

      Now imagine expending downtown parking and taking the workers off the platforms and into cars, circling the neighborhoods and clogging the streets.

      Some have worked to expand biking and train, some to get competitive bus rapid transit, and some just want "business as usual" - commute by private auto....

      It's worth noting that state laws like SB 375 demand decreasing trips by single occupant vehicle - this is not some "theology" that President Obama was accused of recently by a Republican candidate.

      Palo Altans have a deep sense of environmental commitment.  I believe the goals of our Sustainable Land Use committee will resonate well with most residents who strive for a more sustainable future.

      Irvin Dawid
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
      650-283-6534 (cell)

      On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Bob Moss <bmoss33@...> wrote:
      For all those who thing reducing parking reduces driving, here is a REALITY CHECK.  Over 85% of ALL THE WORKERS in Palo Alto drive to work.  Assuming 78,000 people work on Palo Alto that is over 66,000 cars/day. Palo Alto is the 2nd busiest CalTrain stop and it carries less than 3800 passengers/day. Removing parking at the workplace JUST MOVES THE PARKED CARS TO NEARBY AREAS - MAINLY RESIDENTIAL.  This is exactly why Professorville has been begging for years for restricted parking to keep WORKERS from parking in their neighborhood.  This is why College Terrace fought for and got restricted parking in their neighborhood – at a cost to residents for parking permits.

      The vast majority of future workers at the building at Alma and Lytton will drive, not take the train.  Inadequate parking ASSURES spill-over parking in Downtown North.  Wishing people will live near CalTrain and take the train to Palo Alto won’t make it so.

      Regards,  Bob

      Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:51 AM
      Subject: RE: [UnivSouth] Sierra Club letter re 355 Alma St

      Hi Neighbors,
      The letter is on-line at committee website:
      go to Projects & Letters and see:
      Palo Alto Shell Station Proposal (355 Alma Street)

      To: UnivSouth@yahoogroups.com
      From: meyere@...
      Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:42:39 -0800
      Subject: [UnivSouth] Sierra Club letter re 355 Alma St

      I've attached the letter addressed to the Planning Commission. A relevant paragraph follows.
      (This PDF is remarkably resistant to being copied. Here is one paragraph - emphasis is theirs.)  - Elaine