Re: Palo Alto Sustainable Communities Strategy and Regional Housing Needs Allocation:

  • steveraneyc21
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2012
      From: Steve Raney
      Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 3:43 PM
      To: 'city.council@...'
      Subject: Feb 21 agenda item #16, Sustainable Communities Strategy

      Dear City Council,

      In a world without innovation, Planning Director Williams' recent quote in the Weekly is accurate: "We're probably going to make the point that doing all this heavy concentration is a burden to cities like Palo Alto and it's unrealistic," Williams said. "At the same time, the increment of improvement in greenhouse-gas emissions isn't that significant and that perhaps it would be better to leave some flexibility for the cities to do something else to reduce greenhouse gases."

      With innovation, such as that imposed by Palo Alto on Stanford's growth, Palo Alto can reduce regional GHG well beyond "incremental." With innovation, City and PAUSD budgets can balance.