Re: [ALPA_Forum] PA Online: Palo Alto braces for battle against housing mandates

  • David Coale
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
      Hi Jeff,

      Good point.  The council should be interested in smart transit oriented (can't say it - high density) growth to try and meet many other goals, such at the Climate Action Plan, livable/walkable communities and supporting our aging baby boomer population.  It is a valid question of just how much might be needed, but the concept should be supported by all for the reasons listed.

      David

      On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Jeffrey Rensch wrote:

      Irv - there is a city-sponsored housing committee meeting Thursday (I don't know the time but it maybe was noticed in the Friday Weekly).  I have a scheduling conflict but several LWV members are attending.  My question is this: why so much focus by PACC on the ABAG numbers?  Even if the numbers were to be reduced, what would PACC do?  That is, do they have a plan for dense housing near transit in any numbers, small or large?  If they don't, then do they not believe in the nexus between this density and the climate?  It just doesn't make sense that they treat this as a numbers issue and not a concept issue.  And that all 9 members have built a consensus on this without a smidgen of dissent.

       Jeff

      On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Irvin Dawid <irvindawid@...> wrote:

      Palo Alto braces for battle against housing mandates
      If one believes regional projections, Palo Alto will have to build 12,500 new homes by 2035 to accom... (Sunday, 12:05 PM)

      Most interesting seing the council tackle the 'housing mandate' much like HSR - or should I say 'viewing' the housing goals much like HSR.

      Much like with high-speed rail, the council formed a new committee last month to focus on regional housing allocations. The committee is scheduled to hold its first meeting Thursday, at which point it will consider whether to designate El Camino Real and downtown "priority development areas," making them eligible for transportation-grant funds.

      Council member Shepherd also compared her frustration with ABAG's statistics to her experiences with the California High-Speed Rail Authority.

      "I'm worn down with high-speed rail already with trying to come up with reasonable questions, with trying to put together clear data and trying to get people to respond ... to a lack of credibility with the numbers we're using," Shepherd said at the Dec. 5 meeting. "And it sounds like we're walking right back into this again with these ABAG numbers."

      Irvin Dawid
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
      650-283-6534 (cell)

      David Coale