PA Online: Palo Alto braces for battle against housing mandates

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
      Palo Alto braces for battle against housing mandates
      If one believes regional projections, Palo Alto will have to build 12,500 new homes by 2035 to accom... (Sunday, 12:05 PM)

      Most interesting seing the council tackle the 'housing mandate' much like HSR - or should I say 'viewing' the housing goals much like HSR.

      Much like with high-speed rail, the council formed a new committee last month to focus on regional housing allocations. The committee is scheduled to hold its first meeting Thursday, at which point it will consider whether to designate El Camino Real and downtown "priority development areas," making them eligible for transportation-grant funds.

      Council member Shepherd also compared her frustration with ABAG's statistics to her experiences with the California High-Speed Rail Authority.

      "I'm worn down with high-speed rail already with trying to come up with reasonable questions, with trying to put together clear data and trying to get people to respond ... to a lack of credibility with the numbers we're using," Shepherd said at the Dec. 5 meeting. "And it sounds like we're walking right back into this again with these ABAG numbers."

      Irvin Dawid
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
      650-283-6534 (cell)

    • Jeffrey Rensch