What I am Thankful for...

  • Megan Fluke, Loma Prieta Chapter
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2011
      Sierra Club
      View as web page | Tell a friendSent to alpa_forum@yahoogroups.com. Not you? Sign up here.
      CHP_LomaPrieta_EmailBanner

      November 2011

      Dear Greetings,

      In the spirit of this thanksgiving season, I wanted to express my gratitude -- to you!  If you're on this mailing list, my guess is you want the world to be a little greener.  So, thank you for your support this past year by volunteering your time, attending an event, or simply reading these emails.  Collectively, the impact has been great.

      I'd like to offer a special thanks to Cool Cities volunteers and am pleased to share highlights from their work in 2011.  For those of you unfamiliar with Cool Cities teams, these are city-by-city environmental groups and are often the only organized local advocates for sustainability.

      November 2011 eblast - SJ Cool Cities Parking DaySan Jose Cool Cities Team -- Nine new active young members, many from SJSU.  The team supported sustainable land use policies in the General Plan, Almaden Ranch Retail Center, and Diridon Station Area Plan through comment letters and published letters to the editor. It also designed an awesome public space for Parking Day 2011 (pictured at right).

      Sunnyvale Cool Cities Team -- Dipping into a generous grant from the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, hosted the popular "Rethinking Cities" film series in May/June.  Two members of the team continue to serve on the Horizon 2035 Committee to develop Sunnyvale's first Climate Action Plan and update the Land Use and Transportation Chapter section of the General Plan.  Three members sit on the newly-formed Sustainability Commission, with the power to recommend future actions and review policies that impact environmental sustainability.

      Menlo Park Green Ribbon Citizens' Committee -- Though not a Cool Cities team, we supported the MPGRCC over the summer in building community support for a better Downtown Specific Plan that improves local businesses, bikeability, and walkability.

      San Mateo Cool Cities TeamSan Mateo Cool Cities Team -- The team kicked off in September 2011 with 10 volunteers at the first meeting. The team is focusing on a plastic bag and polystyrene ban, a strong Pedestrian Master Plan, and banning gas powered leaf blowers.

      Interested in learning more about the team in your city or sending a thank you for their efforts? Find the names and contact information of the team leaders in your city on our NEW Cool Cities website..

      Wishing you a warm holiday season, hope you can attend one of the upcoming events listed below or a future Cool Cities Team meeting

      In service,

      Megan Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer
      Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter

      Presentation from Dr. Peter Joseph -- Climate Change, It's Already Here!
      Wednesday, November 16, 7:00pm

      Serramonte Library, 40 Wembly Drive, Daly City (map)
      (Community Room on bottom floor, access from left side library)

      November 2011 eblast - Africa DroughtPlease join us for the famous "Al Gore" presentation about climate change, which won him the Nobel Prize. Presenter, trained by Al Gore: Dr. Peter Joseph.

      RSVP by emailing Vanessa Quevedo at vquevedoscu@... or calling 650.390.9604.

      Suggested donation: $5, no one turned away for lack of funds. Light refreshments will be provided.

      Presentation from Don Weden -- "Cities for All Ages"
      Wednesday, December 7, 7:00pm

      Dove & Olive Works - 178 South Boulevard, San Mateo, CA 94402 (map)

      November 2011 eblast - Senior WalkingIn less than 20 years, 1/4 of the adult population of our county will be over 65.  Many will be non-drivers, living in cities which were designed for the automobile.

      Don Weden, retired senior planner for Santa Clara County, discusses how we can prepare our cities for our aging population (and others in our community who do not drive), while contributing to our economic, environmental, and social sustainability.

      Sponsored by the San Mateo Cool Cities Team and the Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter.

      Housing Action Coalition: Strategic Thinking for Land Use Advocates
      Friday, December 9, 11:00am

      Santa Clara Central Park Library
      2635 Homestead Road, Santa Clara (map)

      The Housing Action Coalition of Santa Clara County promotes housing and mixed-use development when it meets broad community goals and adds value to the community.  The Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter is a founding member.

      View details of this event on Loma Prieta website.

      November 2011 eblast - Holiday BellsChapter's Holiday Party
      Wednesday December 14, 5:00pm-8:00pm

      Peninsula Conservation Center, 3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto (map)

      The Loma Prieta Chapter is hosting a Holiday Party to celebrate our successful work in 2011.  Join us in recognition of our dedicated volunteers and generous donors, as the Chapter wraps up another year preserving and protecting the planet.  Music, light food, and beverages provided.

      Save the Date: Plan Bay Area, Public Workshops Scheduled for January 2012

      November 2011 eblast - Plan Bay Area

      Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) are holding the next round of Plan Bay Area public workshops in January 2012. By then they expect to have a set of clearly defined scenarios that illustrate different housing/jobs distribution and transportation infrastructure investments. The scenarios will be evaluated as to how well they help the region achieve the 15% per-capita greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets and other Plan Bay Area Performance Targets.  Registration is required to attend the workshops, stay tuned to this newsletter for a future announcement with registration details.

      View this event and learn more on Plan Bay Area website.

      San Mateo County – Jan 10, 5:30 pm
      (San Mateo Public Library, 55 W. Third Avenue, San Mateo)

      Santa Clara County – Jan 18, 5:30 pm
      (Santa Clara County Government Center, 70 W. Hedding, San Jose)

      Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter

      Take Action

      Send a Message to President Obama! Support the Environmental Review of  Keystone XL Pipeline

      The Loma Prietan Newsletter
      You can read the current and previous issues of the Loma Prietan on the Chapter's newsletter web page.

      Loma Prieta Chapter Event Calendar
      Visit the Chapter's online calendar to find out about outings, conservation and political activities, and more.

      Loma Prieta Chapter Outings
      Check out the wide variety of outings offered by the Chapter's Regional Groups and Activity Sections.

      Find us on Facebook
      Become a fan of the Loma Prieta Chapter on Facebook and get our latest updates.

      Grassroots Organizer
      Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

      Loma Prieta Chapter Sierra Club
      3921 East Bayshore Road, Suite 204, Palo Alto, CA 94303, (650) 390-8411