Re: Ready for Reality?

  • David Coale
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2011
      Hi Again,

      When I looked the the web site for 24 Hours of Reality I noticed that there were no viewing parties in this area so I will be hosting a viewing party at the Peninsula Conservation Center starting at 6:30 PM this Wednesday evening.  We are located at 3921 E Bayshore Rd. Palo Alto.  So if you would like to see this event with others and maybe bring some snack food, come on down and we will see what they have to show us.

      Hope to see you there,

      David

      -------------

      Hi All,

      Lots happening with climate change this month.  The first thing that is up is Al Gore's 24 Hours of Reality.  This is happing this Wednesday Sept. 14th at 7:00 PM in your time zone on-line.  See the forwarded e-mail below.

      The other event is 350.org's Moving Planet on Saturday Sept. 24th.  The big events in the Bay Area are in San Francisco (http://www.moving-planet.org/BayArea) and San Jose (http://www.moving-planet.org/events/us/san-jose/828).  See http://www.moving-planet.org/ to find other events near you (Redwood City and Los Altos).

      I would like to invite you all to the Moving Planet event in San Francisco on Saturday Sept. 24th.  That is where I will be.  This event is put on by the good folks at 350.org.   The Moving Planet event is a worldwide event to move beyond fossil fuels.  So please come join us at Justin Herman Plaza – by bike, bus, train, BART, carpool – but be there at 12 noon for a parade down Market street to Civic Center Plaza for speakers Bill McKibben (author and founder of 350.org), and Mike Brune Executive Director of the Sierra Club.  There will also be food music and more.  We will meet at Noah’s Bagels just around the corner on Market St. just before 12 noon. See http://www.moving-planet.org/BayArea for more information about the event.

      I will be riding my bike up to the even from Palo Alto so if you would like to join me please let me know.  We will be leaving at 8:00 am sharp from Cal Ave. to make it to SF on time for the event.  please let me know if you want to ride with me.  If not, take the train or carpool, but get there!  It should be a great event.

      David

      PS, please send this e-mail around to other that might like to know.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "May Boeve - 350.org" <organizers@...>
      Date: September 12, 2011 12:36:28 PM PDT
      To: "David Coale" <david@...>
      Subject: Ready for Reality?

      Dear friends,

      Have you been noticing the weather getting wilder where you live, and in the news around the world?

      Well, we wanted to share with you an exciting global event from our partners that will help connect the dots between the wild weather we’re seeing, climate change, and why it's so important we push the planet beyond fossil fuels.

      The event is called 24 Hours of Reality -- it’s happening THIS WEDNESDAY, Sep 14th, and it will be a 24-hour worldwide marathon all about the reality of the climate crisis. Around the world, from New York City to South Africa to the Solomon Islands, people will use the power of the Internet to present their stories of living with climate change, and make clear the connection between extreme weather and the corporate carbon pollution that's changing our climate.

      All the presentations, which will be in multiple languages, and in every single time zone, will be streamed live at ClimateRealityProject.org.

      Check out the video below:

      24 Hours of Reality is being spearheaded by Vice President Al Gore, one of the first champions to explain that 350 is the most important number on the planet.

      Many of us within the 350 movement already get the basic science and reality of climate change -- yet we sometimes struggle with getting our friends to really grasp the urgency. This event is a great opportunity to help your friends see why you care so much (plus, you can always pick up a new communication tip or two).

      I'll be calling up my friends to gather around my laptop, with some nearby snacks -- and you can invite folks too. There are also a bunch of public viewing events you can check out.

      The timing of 24 Hours of Reality couldn't be more perfect -- it's just 10 days before Moving Planet, the global day of bike rallies and on-the-ground events to call for climate action. It's that one-two kick of awareness and activism that's got me really excited.

      At the end of many of the Climate Reality Presentations there will be a plug for joining Moving Planet actions -- so we can all move together from knowledge to action.

      We hope you’ll be watching Wednesday too!

      Onwards,

      May Boeve, for the 350.org team

      PS: This event isn't just an opportunity to strengthen the movement -- it's a tool to help us grow it. Click here to get the word out on Facebook and Twitter.

      350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. You can join 350.org on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at facebook.com/350org and follow us on twitter by visiting twitter.com/350. To join our list (maybe a friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit www.350.org/signup. To support our work, donate securely online at 350.org/donate.

      What is 350?
      350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon dioxide in "parts per million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs to get below as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get there, we need a different kind of PPM–a "people powered movement" that is made of people like you in every corner of the planet.

      David Coale