Fwd: How can health advocates get involved in transportation planning?

  • Megan Fluke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2011
      FYI.  Looks like a easy-to-read guidebook to help folks get involved with transportation planning.

      From: Public Health Law & Policy <Public_Health_Law__Policy@...>
      Date: Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM
      To: keithfdavis@...

      Public Health Law and Policy

      Get Involved in Local Transportation Planning!

      Photo Credit Steve VanceWhy should people who work in public health participate in transportation planning?

      Because the way our roads and public transit systems are designed has a lot to do with our health – it influences how much exercise we get, our exposure to noise and air pollution, our risk of getting into traffic accidents, how easily we access jobs and services, and more.

      To help health advocates understand the ins and outs of the transportation planning process, our new fact sheet, "Getting Involved in Transportation Planning," describes the key players of local and regional transportation planning and explores the important link between transportation planning and health. It also suggests ways to advocate effectively for healthier transportation policies.

      Public Health Law & Policy developed this fact sheet in collaboration with TransForm, an organization working to create world-class public transportation and walkable communities in California.

      Looking for creative new policy ideas? Model laws to adapt? Guidance on legal risks? Our website is packed with fact sheets, model policies, and step-by-step toolkits, and our staff are available to lead tailored trainings and provide one-on-one consultation. Contact us to learn more.

      PHLP
      Photo (top) by Steve Vance
      Follow our news and join discussions on public health issues through our social media channels:
      PHLP and NPLAN on Join us on Facebook     PHLP and NPLAN on Join us on Twitter
      Public Health Law & Policy (PHLP)  |  www.phlpnet.org  |  (510) 302-3380
      Copyright © 2011 Public Health Law & Policy. All rights reserved.

      Click to view this email in a browser

      Public Health Law & Policy
      2201 Broadway, Suite 502
      Suite 502
      Oakland, California 94619
      US

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!

      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604
      megan.fluke@...

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.