This July- Mountain View Film Series "Reinventing our Cities"

  • Megan Fluke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2011
      Dear Friends,

      In case you missed the film series in Palo Alto and Sunnyvale, the Mountain View Coalition for Sustainable Planning is hosting "Reinventing Our Cities" this July. Join your neighbors at a weekly film screening and facilitated discussion to explore how creative planners around the world are reinventing cities to be more livable and sustainable. Don't forget to invite your family and friends!

      To RSVP respond to this email or go to http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103221793106528

      Fridays, July 8- July 29th, 7:00pm
      Fenwick and West, Silicon Valley Center
      801 California Street, Mountain View.
      Refreshments provided, no charge
      Friends and neighbors welcome!

      FRIDAY July 8 - Save Our Land, Save Our Towns
      Small town newsman Tom Hylton explores why America's towns have declined and how we can revive them. "Development and zoning issues normally make eyes glaze...Tom Hylton makes them downright fascinating." - Philadelphia Daily News

      FRIDAY July 15 - Seoul, the Stream of Consciousness and Portland: A Sense of Place
      In 2003, Seoul, Korea demolished a major downtown freeway to uncover and restore the ancient Cheonggyecheon stream that once flowed beneath it. The Cheonggyecheon is now a vital part of the city’s commercial and tourism sectors, and has proven that environmental restoration can revive culture and community. Plus, learn why Portland is consistently ranked as one of the country’s most livable cities and how city planners have uniquely integrated transport decisions into urban growth and development efforts.

      FRIDAY July 22 - Transportation Solutions
      These short films will inspire you about alternatives to car transportation and how alternatives can improve city environment and people’s lives. Including “Guangzhou, China's Winning the Future with BRT,” “LA’s Orange Line,” “Velo Liberte,” and “Cycling Copenhagen.”

      FRIDAY July 29 - A Convenient Truth
      In this inspirational film, you'll learn why cities around the world look to Curitiba, Brazil as the model for creative and enlightened urban planning. Over the past 40 years, Curitiba has demonstrated how to transform problems into cost-effective solutions that can be applied in most cities around the world.

      This film and discussion series is co-sponsored by: Mountain View Coalition for Sustainable Planning, Greenbelt Alliance, Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter, Transition Silicon Valley, Transition Mountain View, Transition Palo Alto, Mountain View Cohousing Community, Films of Vision and Hope, Mountain View Green, Sunnyvale Cool

      In service,

      Megan
      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.