Re: Stanford Energy Seminar - Mon. 3/7/11 - Transportation in a Climate-Constrained

  • Megan Fluke
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2011
      Sorry for all of the emails for folks who have already received a few from me today...

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Margaret Suozzo <margaret.suozzo@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      Here's yet another excellent local source of information.

      Transportation in a Climate-Constrained World
      Andreas Schäfer, University of Cambridge

      Monday, March 7, 2011 | 04:15 PM - 05:15 PM | | Free and Open to All

      Location on Stanford Campus described as follows -

      Energy Seminar
      New day AND venue: Mondays, 04:15 - 05:15 pm
      NVIDIA Auditorium, Room 14C, Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center. downstairs on the Terrace Level.

      The Energy Seminar website has moved to: energyseminar.stanford.edu. Please visit our new web page that contains expanded speaker information, search functions, seminar archives and links to Stanford energy and climate resources.

      Transportation consumes two-thirds of the world's petroleum and has become the largest contributor to global environmental change. Most of this increase in scale can be attributed to the strong desire for personal mobility that comes with economic growth. This talk will cover the past and future travel demand; the influence of personal and business choices on passenger travel's climate impact; technologies and alternative fuels that may become available to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions from passenger transport; and policies that would promote a more sustainable transportation system. And most important, when all of these options are taken together, it will consider whether a more sustainable transportation system will be possible in the next thirty to fifty years, or whether we must accept a future where transportation remains a major contributor to climate change.

      This talk is based on a recently published book "Transportation in a Climate-Constrained World" (MIT Press), by Andreas Schäfer and three MIT-colleagues, John B. Heywood, Henry D. Jacoby, and Ian A. Waitz.

      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604
      megan.fluke@...

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.