a good night at city hall

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2011
      two significant items resolved at meeting:
      1. Cal' Ave streetscape improvements
      Meeting was fantastic - huge turnout. Councilman Burt indicated that 90% spoke in support  Real opposition was from businesses - I think they hired attorney Bill Ross who successfully slowed process at MTC - which irritated council.
      Main subject of discussion was amendment by Councilmember Holmes to widen sidewalks as this was an issue with many of them - they were perplexed that the change to make it more ped-friendly wouldn't widen sidewalks. Burt explained that by taking objects, e.g. newstands off the sidewalk, the walkway is  improved.  Staff explained that 'gutter/curb' changes greatly increase costs.  This discussion is not reflected in PADN article:
      Palo Alto council members moved forward Monday night with a plan to remove two lanes of California Avenue despite opposition from local merchants who recently managed to hold up about $1.2 million in grant money for the business district proposal.  ......
      Thanks for everyone's help - many of you who hammered on the same issues - council heard.
      2.  - earlier they approved a $5 million loan (or expenditure, not sure - John Barton made presentation on behalf of Eden Housing/PA Working Group) to approve the Ole's property purchase for a new affordable housing project - 801 Alma.  Council members referred to a 'social obligation' to supply affordable housing.
      I guess we're not Atherton....yet!
      See if you can pick up a copy of the Daily Post as well.
      LocalHeadlineNews
      from the Palo Alto Weekly and the Palo Alto Online staff

      Palo Alto council backs lane cuts on Cal Ave
      Palo Alto's plan to transform California Avenue into a two-lane pedestrian-friendly boulevard sped ahead Monday night (Feb. 14) when the City Council unanimously backed the project despite a mixed reception from area merchants.

      --
      Respectfully,

      Irvin Dawid
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
      650-283-6534 (cell)

    • Jeffrey Rensch
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2011
        Irv - Thanks so much for your good reporting of this good news.

        By the way, I saw something in Curtis Williams' latest report on Planning Commission that raised my interest.  Apparently on March 7 (if all goes on schedule) staff will present to Council a plan for a more regional approach to housing allocation in the future.  I imagine this to be maybe along the San Mateo County model where cities banded together to apportion their allocations.  I think this would be very healthy for us because it would stop some of the panicky focus on particular sites and help people focus more on the conceptual need and problem solving.  Plus, at worst, just possibly we would give some of our housing money to a neighboring town to build housing so that at least it would get built.  Of course I would rather see the housing next to the jobs....

        If I misread Curtis' note I hope someone will correct my understanding.

         Jeff

        On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Irvin Dawid <irvindawid@...> wrote:

[...]

        Palo Alto's plan to transform California Avenue into a two-lane pedestrian-friendly boulevard sped ahead Monday night (Feb. 14) when the City Council unanimously backed the project despite a mixed reception from area merchants. (Monday, 11:15 PM)

        --
        Respectfully,

        Irvin Dawid
        753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA  94301
        650-283-6534 (cell)

      • Bena Chang
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2011
          Hi Jeff,

          You're right that Santa Clara County is banding together, albeit on an informal basis, to work on the next RHNA cycle.  The idea is that the County would have a collective conversation about where to put homes and how to trade numbers and resources.

          We may have an update on this at our next Housing Action Coalition meeting.  I'll keep the group posted.

          Bena

          On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Jeffrey Rensch <jrensch@...> wrote:

[...]

          Silicon Valley Leadership Group
          Senior Associate, Housing & Transportation
          224 Airport Parkway, Suite 620
          San Jose, CA 95110
          Phone: (408) 501-7870
          Fax: (408) 501-7861
          www.svlg.net

        • Irvin Dawid
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2011
            good catch, Jeff. Thanks for clarification, Bena
            Planning and Transportation Issues of Interest - January 2011
            •    Subregional Housing Approach: On March 7, 2011, staff will bring to Council a resolution that would allow Palo Alto to participate in a “subregional” effort to delineate “fair share” housing needs for the City and with other cities in Santa Clara County for the period 2014-2022. This option is an outgrowth of the Sustainable Communities Strategy outlined in Senate Bill 375 to tie housing to transportation in a sustainable development pattern through the year 2035.

            A city’s housing needs have in previous housing cycles been prescribed by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) consistent with criteria outlined by the State, but the subregional approach would allow cities (and respective county) to retain greater control over the process. In order to participate, affected cities and counties must submit resolutions to ABAG by not later than March 16, 2011.