Re: [ALPA_Forum] Fwd: Bike Share Program to Palo Alto

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2010
      thanks, Megan for reporting on this - it will be interesting to see how it develops.
      As you and I think David Coale posted here earlier, I attended the 'kick-off' for the update of what looked to be a bike plan for the city - they had the consultant do a presentation. However, I haven't followed up on it to see what the city actually plans on doing.

      I did notice the stir that Diana Diamond cause with her recent column in Daily Post, "City favors bicyclists over drivers" (Dec. 9); followed up by another on Dec. 16: "We have to compromise to share the road".

      While impressed by all the 'polite' responses (including mine...I suppose never wise to pick a fight with a paper), I think she really needs a proper response that actually was informative.

      For example, on Sunday, 12/19 the Chron ran an editorial that addresses  the same issue that Diamond does  - but I actually thought it was informative - and that's what's prompting my email to you and the group.
      In encouraging more riding - as a 190-page official bike plan does - the city needs to be better prepared. It has begun a five-year, $25 million program bringing more lanes, parking spots and other traffic changes.

      Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/18/EDCL1F4T9E.DTL#ixzz18n33Cw98
      OK, what has PA got planned for bikes in comparison???????

      On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Megan Fluke <megan.fluke@...> wrote:

      What do folks with  ALPA think of this?

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2010
        Re: [ALPA_Forum] Bike Share Program to Palo Alto Irvin Dawid <irvindawid@...> wrote

        While impressed by all the 'polite' responses (including mine...I suppose never wise to pick a fight with a paper), I think she really needs a proper response that actually was informative.
        For example, on Sunday, 12/19 the Chron ran an editorial that addresses  the same issue that Diamond does  - but I actually thought it was informative - and that's what's prompting my email to you and the group.
        New attitudes would help bicycling's golden age
        San Francisco Chronicle
        In encouraging more riding - as a 190-page official bike plan does - the city needs to be better prepared. It has begun a five-year, $25 million program bringing more lanes, parking spots and other traffic changes.

        Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/18/EDCL1F4T9E.DTL#ixzz18n33Cw98
        OK, what has PA got planned for bikes in comparison???????

        1. Palo Alto is not sponsoring the bike share program, and

           2. Palo Alto is just starting the update of its current hefty bike/ped plan.

        Ellen