Introducing myself...

  • Megan Fluke
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9 11:50 AM
      Looks like David Coale sent an email to ALPA right before I forwarded the same one he had already sent me.  I'll use this as an opportunity to introduce myself.

      I've been working with the Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter for a year now as a grassroots organizer for our Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign- an effort to build community engagement and support for smart growth particularly through long term plans and individual projects.

      Usually I've done this by building and supporting Cool Cities teams but in cities where there are already organized groups working on sustainable land use issues, I offer my support to them.

      If the team has a dedicated group of folks I can work wtih, the Sierra Club can offer the following types of support:

      -Recruiting members on your team
      -Supporting and likely funding community education events (ie: talks, films screenings)
      -Sending email blasts to our members who live in Palo Alto about ALPA's work
      -Training and support on grassroots organizing and building your campaign
      -Support reviewing and commenting on projects from our Sustainable Land Use Committee and interns.

      I'd love to hear what folks on ALPA think of this offer.

      Thank you,
      Megan

      On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Megan Fluke <megan.fluke@...> wrote:
      What do folks from ALPA think?

      From: Cedric de La Beaujardiere <cedricdlb@...>
      Date: December 8, 2010 7:36:17 PM PST
      To: David Coale <david@...>, Peter Drekmeier <pdrekmeier@...>

      David,

        On Thursday, December 16th, from 6:30-8:30 pm, in Escondido School's Multi-Purpose Room, the City of Palo Alto will be hosting a community input meeting on the California Avenue Streetscape Improvement Project (www.cityofpaloalto.org/calave).

        The city needs to hear from supportive residents, to counter the small but vocal group of residents who are opposed to this project.  Most of the opposition boils down to fear of spill-over traffic from the reduction in lanes from 4 to 2, but their fears on this score are baseless: this is a 4-block dead-end street with minimal traffic volumes (apparently borne out by the recent traffic study).  The only reason this street is four lanes is because it used to be the through-street crossing Alma and CalTrain, but was blocked off at the tracks when Oregon Expwy was created.  (A PDF of feedback from a prior community meeting is available at http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=24797)

        The improvements include an increases of parking spaces, outdoor dining areas, benches, bike racks, trash/recycling bins, info kiosks, plus improvements to pedestrian safety with bulbouts, elevated mid-block cross walks, and fewer lanes to cross, share-the-road-arrows to indicate to bikes and cars the expected safest position of bikes, as well as the possibility of additional trees, and place markers and color schemes to tie the district together.

        The increase of parking is achieved primarily from changing the diagonal parking angle from 30 to 60 degrees, such that parked car widths take up less space along the sidewalk and more can be parked side by side.  However, the cars then jut out into the street more, which is one reason for the need to reduce the number of traffic lanes.  Another reason to reduce the number of lanes is for pedestrian safety.  The number one reason for vehicle-pedestrian collisions is peds crossing roads with more than one vehicle lane in any one direction, because one driver may stop for the pedestrian, while a driver in the second lane does not see the ped hidden from view by the stopped car, and strikes the pedestrian.  Thus, reducing the number of lanes increases pedestrian safety.  At intersections which need more car capacity, two lanes at the stop will be maintained.  The one lane in each direction will be amply wide enough for bikes and cars to share the roadway without conflict, and the Palo Alto Bicycle Advisory Committee supports this project.

        The city has been awarded a $1.2M grant which will cover over 70% of the streetscape improvements cost, with the city's share being ~$500K.  A major impetus for this project was the scheduled need to repave the road, which is a separately funded project.  Instead of repaving and then simply re-striping the road just as it had been before, the city took advantage of the opportunity to obtain outside funding to increase the appeal and safety of the California Avenue shopping district.

        Please come out to this meeting and/or email the City Council (city.council@...) to let them know you support the California Avenue Streetscape Improvement Project.

      Sincerely,
      Cedric de La Beaujardiere

      David Coale

      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604
      megan.fluke@...

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.

      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer
      Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604
      megan.fluke@...

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.
    • Tony Carrasco
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9 4:54 PM

        Hi Megan.

        I think your offer would be really welcomed.

        Thank you.

        Tony Carrasco

        CARRASCO & ASSOCIATES

        1885 El Camino Real
        Palo Alto, CA 94306
        650 322 2288 x111
        Fax: 650 322 2316

        This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the addressee named above.  If you are not a named addressee, you are notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is strictly prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify sender via return e-mail and delete it from your computer. Thank you.