Re: Fwd: Cool-It The movie

  • David Coale
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14 6:41 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.3 MB
    Hi All,

    Here is probably my last posting on this as I think there has been some more balanced information on this.  I appreciate the responses.  Attached is an interesting write up from Alex Cannara addressing the myths that skeptics bring up about global warming.

    Alex, the list is closed for net etiquette reasons, not to stop dissenting opinions.  Most of the recipients are lists so cross posting would not work anyway.

    As several people have noted, it is good to know your opponents, so maybe this is where this info can be most useful.

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: Alex Cannara <cannara@...>
    Date: November 14, 2010 11:13:32 AM PST
    To: David Coale <david@...>
    Cc: Bart Anderson <bart@...>
    Subject: Re: [transitionpaloalto] Cool-It The movie

    Glad to see a response.  For Bart & others, here's what I wrote Dave
    myself (with attachment).  And, if you want to see another non-scientist
    charlatan, just Google First Viscount Monckton of Blenchly -- his taped
    talk at a leafy Brit prep school is especially revealing of his need to
    get $ anywhere he can, even Fox, perhaps to keep the family lands out of
    hock.  In email exchanges with him, he refused to take the standing, $5k
    bet I offer any climate denier.  No one has taken it.
    Problem is we've p____ away over 100 years of climate warnings and now the 'green' charlatans are getting subsidies to sell us 'magic' stuff, while hacks are trying to keep our comfortable ignorance alive for their odd benefit.

    Lomborg is unfortunately paid to be biased and his statements often
    avoid much science & engineering reality.  Too bad you chose to mail to
    a closed list, so now all the other folks won't see dissenting opinions
    about Lomborg.

    That's exactly how misinformation gets propagated.  We really don't have
    time to keep correcting misinformation.  We all need to get serious
    about educating ourselves & taking action.

    I've attached one little piece on a particular dis-information effort
    Lomborg & some others attempted a year or so back.  Feel free to pass it
    on, so folks can actually have open discussion of realities.

    Dr. Alexander Cannara
    Menlo Park, Calif.

    On 11/12/2010 7:05 PM, David Coale wrote:
    Hi Bart and others,

    I guess I should have done my home work first. See Bart's comments
    below. Here is another link to a movie review that is in today's

    In looking at the link to Wikipedia (see Bjørn Lomborg
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B8rn_Lomborg> below) I see his
    degrees are in political science and not one of the hard sciences. So
    look at this with a critical eye and see what you think.

    On Nov 12, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Bart Anderson wrote:

    I fear for the worst with this movie. It is based on the ideas of
    the dubious Bjorn Lomborg, who is regularly trotted out to argue
    against any significant action on climate change. Many, including
    myself, consider him to be a Greenwasher.

    Here's one review http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/11/cool-it/

    The world is not coming to an end due to global warming, and even
    if it were, there’s not much you could do individually to change
    the planet’s course.

    In a nutshell, that’s the message served up in the first half
    of/Cool It/, a new documentary about Danish environmental
    writerBjørn Lomborg
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B8rn_Lomborg>that slams Al Gore
    for resorting to scare tactics in/An Inconvenient Truth/.

    On 11/12/2010 9:25 AM, David Coale wrote:

    Hi All,

    This looks very interesting. I can't really tell too much from
    the trailer: http://coolit-themovie.com/but it is playing here in
    Palo Alto at the Landmark Aquarius 2 starting this weekend.

    From the web site:

    Climate catastrophe? The end of civilization as we know it?

    Cool It is based upon the book of the same name and lectures by
    Bjorn Lomborg, the controversial author of The Skeptical
    Environmentalist. Award-winning filmmaker Ondi Timoner travels
    the world with Lomborg exploring the real facts and true science
    of global warming and its impact. Lomborg is the founder and
    director of the Copenhagen Consensus Center, a globally respected
    think tank that brings together the world’s leading economists to
    prioritize major global problems – among them malaria, the lack
    of potable water and HIV/AIDS – based upon a cost/benefit
    analysis of available solutions. Amidst the strong and polarized
    opinions within the global warming debate, Cool It follows
    Lomborg on his mission to bring the smartest solutions to climate
    change, environmental pollution, and other major problems in the

    For more information about Bjorn Lombog and the Copenhagen
    Consensus, a think-tank based in Denmark that tells governments
    and philanthropists about the best ways to spend aid and
    development money, visit: http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com

    Comments welcome.