Re: tonight (Tues) Housing element workshop

  • elliotmar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2010
      I attended the first part last night that included staff presentation with handouts and some Q&A. I couldn't stay for the breakout discussions. I doubt if there were even 20 people there not including staff. Among those who oppose the housing allocations, there is a lot of skepticism about whether the ABAG numbers are fair.

      I asked the staff what they or ABAG do to monitor and communicate the actual numbers of jobs in Palo Alto and their approximate pay rates, along with the approximate per cent of those workers across income categories that are housed in Palo Alto. I believe that would go a long way toward persuading folks on the fence about the need for more affordable stock. (Granted, there is still some challenge to come up with ways to make it likely that housing stock goes to Palo Alto workers.) Just seeing numbers across a grid of allocations and the city's number of units does little to demonstrate the actual needs. Outside of the tracking of city and school district employees I've never come across those numbers and they verified that nobody tracks it. I suggested the city go for a grant.

      Elliot