New "Films of Hope and Vision" Series - Food and the Environment - starts May 14

  • David Coale
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2010
      Hi All,

      We had so much fun and so did everyone else that we are doing it again!

      See info below,

      David

      PS sorry for any multiple postings.

      New Friday Night Film Series - Food And the Environment
      We're back, by popular demand! Don't miss our next "Films of Hope and Vision" film series starting Friday May 14, sponsored by Acterra, Silicon Valley Action Network, World Centric, the South Bay Slow Food Movement, and Transition Palo Alto. Lively discussions will follow each film.

      Free Friday Night Film Series at World Centric, 7:30 - 9:30 P.M.

      May 14 -- Power of Community -- When the Soviet Union collapsed, Cuba couldn't export its sugar or import oil. This film shows how Cuba weathered the crisis. Powerful, insightful, and uplifting. Don't miss this one! Come again, even if you saw the film last time - we'll have more great discussion!

      May 21 -- King Corn -- King Corn is a fascinating feature documentary about two friends, one acre of corn, and the subsidized crop that drives our fast-food nation...

      May 28 -- Two Angry Moms -- Two Angry Moms shows not only what is wrong with school food; it offers strategies for overcoming roadblocks and getting healthy, good tasting, real food into school cafeterias. The movie explores the roles the federal government, corporate interests, school administration and parents play in feeding our country's school kids.

      June 4 -- Establishing a Food Forest -- This is a great how-to film about how to establish and maintain a food forest, one of the main sustainable systems that will allow us to inhabit this planet indefinitely. Geoff Lawton of the permaculture research institute has created a real masterpiece with this film, condensing his encyclopedic knowledge and experience of these systems into a 'how to do it' instructional video.

      June 11 -- In Transition -- An inspirational film about how local communities, like ours, can respond to peak oil and global warming while building community and enjoying life. Come again, even if you saw the film last time - we'll have more great discussion!

      June 18 -- Potluck (Let's share food that's been grown within 100 miles !)

      New Venue: World Centric 2121 Staunton Ct., Palo Alto (behind JJ&F Market)

      Time: 7:30 - 9:30 P.M.

      Hope to see you at the movies - and don't forget to invite your friends!

      David Coale