"Don't Fear Density" (LTE in today's Daily Post)

  • irvin dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2009
      it's not online, to my knowledge, so go to your Blue Box on the street, or perhaps your favorite cafe...

      Note - I made an error about the date of the final forum - the Daily Post will issue a correction!

      Irvin Dawid

      From: dprice@...
      Subject: Re: Dave, Can You correct my BIG error in todays LTE?
      Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:19:00 -0700
      To: irvindawid@...

      Of course we can. Thank you for pointing it out.

      On Mar 24, 2009, at 1:05 PM, irvin dawid wrote:

      Thanks for printing my LTE, "Don't Fear Density" in such a prominent position in todays paper!
      Unfortunately, I got my months mixed up - the next forum is APRIL 2, not in May (though May is the final forum for the year). I indicate the incorrect date in the first sentence of the final paragraph.

      Would it be possible to print a correction for my error?

      Thanks so much - sorry to put you through this...

      Here's a good link to include for more information:

      Irvin Dawid

      Subject: RC Forum: A picture says a thousand words...
      Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:41:54 -0700
      From: DZack@...

      Envisioning Urbanism:

      Promoting Sustainable Communities Through Photo-Simulation

      Steve Price

      Thursday, April 2, 2009

      The Little Fox Theatre, Downtown Redwood City, 2209 Broadway

      $10.00 fee payable at door

      Visual simulation expert STEVE PRICE will be speaking at “The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design” on THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2009, from 6:00 - 7:45pm!  Don’t miss this insightful presentation on “ENVISIONING URBANISM: PROMOTING SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES THROUGH PHOTO-SIMULATION.”

      Our society is on the verge of making vast investments in public works. Will we make wise choices?

      A picture is worth a thousand words. Nothing is truer when it comes to explaining how cities physically work. Before and after photo-simulation is a tool to help us discern the good, to ensure that development both produces jobs and builds toward a green future.

      Photo-simulation is a way of communicating with community members and decision-makers that appeals to their whole brain, both left and right hemispheres. Steve Price will introduce how it's done, when it's effective, and show real-world examples of its use.

      About Steve Price

      Steve Price, Principal of Urban Advantage, communicates the urban design principles of smart growth to non-professional audiences through photo-realistic illustration. After getting a degree in sociology in the 1970s and working for many years as a technical illustrator for high-tech companies like Apple Computer and Hewlett Packard, he combined his interests in urbanism and visual communication, creating instructional illustrations about walkable urban form. Using photo-editing software, he modifies photographs of existing places, superimposing photographs of architecture, trees, people, transit vehicles and other components of an urban landscape to create before-and-after visualizations of positive change.

      Steve’s clients for his visualization services have included cities, urban design firms, community development corporations, transportation agencies, environmental organizations, foundations, universities, and neighborhood groups. He has participated in numerous urban design charrettes across the country and has worked with most of America’s leading New Urban designers. For the Department of Energy he produced a web site entitled “New Tools for Community Design and Decision Making.” His images have been published in numerous newspapers, national magazines, and books, including The Charter of the New Urbanism published by the Congress for the New Urbanism, The Regional City by Calthorpe and Fulton, Form-Based Codes by Parolek, Parolek, and Crawford, Sustainable Urbanism by Doug Farr, and Retrofitting Suburbia by Dunham-Jones and Williamson.

      Steve is an active member of the Form-Based Code Institute, a non-profit organization advancing new methods of urban development regulation. He has served on the Environmental Grantmaking Committee of the East Bay Community Foundation and as chairperson of the Urban Growth Subcommittee of the San Francisco Bay Chapter of the Sierra Club. His ongoing interest in local affairs led him to involvements in his own community as a planning commissioner and design review board member.

      About The Forum

      The Forum at Redwood City is held on the first Thursday of each month, from October through May. Communities By Design (CBD), a local nonprofit, and the City of Redwood City jointly produce the Forum, with assistance from Moore Iacofano Goltsman, Inc. (MIG). The fee for the Forum is $10 (payable at the door, checks or cash). The Forum is held at the Little Fox Theatre, located at 2209 Broadway in Redwood City. Doors open at 5:30pm. (Please note that due to State regulations, attendance at the Fox Theatre is limited to persons over 21.) The presentation and discussion is followed by an optional, no-host dinner at a nearby restaurant in downtown Redwood City. A flier for the event is attached.

      Transportation: For those arriving by car, there is plenty of parking available within a comfortable walk of the Little Fox Theatre. Transit is also a great option, as the Little Fox is also only 2 blocks from the Redwood City Caltrain Station.

      If you need any additional information, please contact Dan Zack at the City of Redwood City at (650) 780-7363 or dzack@....

      PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT! Please share this information with your colleagues who might be interested in attending.

      For summaries of past Forums, visit http://www.redwoodcity.org/forum

      Please join us on April 2nd!

      Dan Zack, AICP

      Downtown Development Coordinator

      Community Development Services Department

      City of Redwood City

      1017 Middlefield Road

      Redwood City CA, 94063

      “Men do not love Rome because she is beautiful; Rome is beautiful because men have loved her.”     -Leopold Kohr

      <Zack Summary_FINAL.PDF><April 2009 Price Flyer.pdf>