John King's Column today in Chron': Affordable housing

  • irvin dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2009

      Assessing affordable housing in the Bay Area

      John King

      Tuesday, February 24, 2009
      This article appeared on page E - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

      "I actually think progress is being made," said Carol Galante. "That doesn't mean there isn't a lot more to do."

      "Galante is president of Bridge Housing, a nonprofit that in the past 25 years has built 8,800 units of affordable housing.
      Cause for celebration, to be sure. But when Bridge wanted to mark the anniversary of its founding in 1983, the San Francisco company didn't bother booking a set of suites in Vegas. Instead, it commissioned academics to chew on the basic problem: How can the state put more housing within reach of low- and middle-income residents?
      Or, to borrow the subtitle of a paper by Cynthia Kroll and Jenny Wyant of UC Berkeley, "Are we making progress?"
      This and three other papers were presented at an all-day conference this month at UC Berkeley's School of Business hosted by Bridge, the school and the Urban Land Institute."
      continues....
      http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/king/
      Regards,

      Irvin Dawid