Facebook Group Page

  • Elliot Margolies
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hi Friends,
      Hopefully even the non-Facebook users among us can go to the following pages to check them out.

      Here is the beginning of a Facebook "Group" Page for ALPA.
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?customize&gid=148952868768#/group.php?gid=148952868768

      Here is an  example of an ALPA "club/organization" Facebook page.
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?customize&gid=148952868768#/pages/Palo-Alto-CA/Alliance-for-a-Livable-Palo-Alto/134359477842?v=wall&viewas=765944080&ref=ts

      On both choices, try clicking on the "INFO" tab as well as the first page you go to.

      There are two main differences.  In one way the "Club" page demands less of a commitment from those you invite.  It invites people to become "Fans" rather than "Members."  That would probably net us more people who would get our updates.

      The "Groups" page allows us to put more description of our group onto the front page.  The "club" page limits you to a short blurb for description.

      So first we'd need to choose the better platform on Facebook.

      It would be good to populate a few comments on the "WALL".  Even more important it would be good to start at least one discussion item.

      I put up a "placeholder" photo that we can change out when we get a logo or a better photo to upload.

      I'd like to add administrators but don't know how to do that yet on the "Groups" page.  The "club" page requires no administrators as I understand it.

      Also, it appears that on either Facebook Page there is no way to incorporate html or bold words.  But  a group page provided more space to describe ourselves.  I took the description from the web site page.  I eliminated the first set of values since without any formatting it looked like a lot of dry text and the second list encompassed the values.

      If the group wants to move forward with one or the other Facebook page and we populate it a bit more as mentioned above, the next step would be for each of you to join Facebook and then send an invite to "Become a Fan" or "Become a Member" (depending which style of page we choose)  to all your Palo Alto friends on Facebook. I can provide step by step instructions if and when we are ready for that.

      Then whenever we advertise a new meeting or event, all those connected will get an update on their personal Facebook page.

      Elliot

      .