Private Streets initiative...what do you think?

  • irvin dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 30 KB
    Hopefully all know the council has unanimously embraced the Moss initiative, even going so far as praising Bob for "doing us a public service" (or along those lines, quoting Espinoza well-past midnight at Mon's council meeting).

    The only issue was adopting as-is on Monday, or following the staff recommendation to adopt in Sept so as to comply with 'public noticing' requirement and enviro review, which Curtis Williams call perfunctory.

    So much for 'letting the people decide'...all to save $100,000 in election costs.

    I am very uncomfortable with this initiative.  From a housing perspective, it reduces density by excluding streets from being included in FAR.

    From a transportation perspective, it deals with parking issues from a supply rather than a demand perspective.

    Council loves to tout Stanford for its TDM program, but apparently what's good for Stanford isn't good for Palo Alto.  There are far better, more enviro friendly ways of reducing 'spillover parking' than ensuring ample parking for new developments.  Other cities are doing the exact opposite! (I'm attaching San Mateo's TDM program for a TOD site...see 'Parking Reduction)

    Finally, I'd like to call everyone's attention to the Complete Streets movement...consider how this differs from our city's Private Streets movement of widening streets.

    Complete Streets Could Help America Lose Weight, Says CDC

    When non-transportation-geeks ask me why transportation policy is a topic worthy of more attention on the national stage, I often start by talking about the public health implications. Not only are tens of thousands of Americans killed and injured in car crashes every year, not only are countless thousands of others killed and sickened by air pollution caused by motor vehicles -- on top of that, the link between obesity and automobile dependence is increasingly well-documented. As Elana Schor wrote here a couple of weeks ago, "Transportation reform is health reform."
    Now the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has weighed in with a list of recommendations on fighting obesity in the United States, and 6 of the 24 suggested actions have to do with the creation of "complete streets," one of the major reforms advocates are asking for. Streetsblog Network member Design New Haven does a great job of summing up the CDC position and making the local connection:

    Bollards_CurbExtensions_InternationalXWalk.jpgA street with sidewalk extensions and bollards makes for a better walking experience.
    In a comprehensive report just released by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a national team of researchers and policy experts is recommending that communities adopt "Complete Streets" policies in their fight against obesity. The authors cite over 100 recent scientific studies to justify their proposed interventions and suggested measurements. ...(continues)

    Regards,

    Irvin Dawid /ALPA
    650-853-0558/home
    650-283-6534/mobile

    ps: if you are on ALPA exec. group, please feel free to continue dialog on AllianceForLivablePaloAlto@yahoogroups.com

    If you are only on Forum, respond here....
    alpa_forum@yahoogroups.com

    Uploaded: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 12:47 PM

    Palo Alto to require wider private streets
    City Council sides with residents' initiative petition, decides to avoid a November election

    Share

    Residents behind a grassroots movement to set a wider-streets requirement within private housing developments in Palo Alto won a major victory Monday night when the City Council agreed to adopt their proposal.

    But the council's adoption won't become official until the city conducts an environmental review of the new ordinance and publicizes the ordinance in accordance with state regulations. The council is scheduled to adopt the ordinance officially on Sept. 21.....

    http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=13223