Grand Blvd for PA's El Camino

  • steveraneyc21
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
      Tony,

      I don't know how you'd make El Camino transit oriented. I can't come up with a plan to do that in Palo Alto.

      I suppose we should first say that transit oriented is really about having lots of people and mixed uses and walkability. So, I'd want adjacent streets parallel to El Camino to be part of the mixed use, walkable transformation. But these are SFH neighborhoods, so they are probably politically impossible to upzone. So it's tough to have lots of people along a robust El Camino corridor. Maybe if we went with 20 stories on El Camino?

      It think it would be super terrific if there was some way to build new residential along El Camino and have bus transit commute mode share be very high (25% or more), but I don't think that's possible.

      I would love to see an example of how to take a flawed auto-centered arterial street such as El Camino within PA and transform it into something that is TOD, but it's never been done. I specifically think we can't take examples from outside the US. Compared to other countries, US suburbanites are uniquely lazy and, in PA, their time value is very high.

      I'm stumped. I don't think the problem is bus versus steel wheels.

      I also don't think there's a credible story for narrowing El Camino. The El Camino / Page Mill intersection has something like 42,000 vehicle trips per day. Before you can narrow El Camino, you have to have a credible story about how you get folks out of their cars during commute hour, especially when you are adding many new residents to that corridor.

      I think the Grand Blvd project needs to be run by a numbers-oriented skeptic.

      - Steve

      --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > It sounds like you are saying that if the buses had steel wheels and ran
      > on rails El Camino would be transit oriented? Am I missing something? I
      > grew up in Bombay where Busses and trains were used for commuting and
      > the Bus system produced better walk able development.
      > PA does have a plan to reduce lanes on El Camino and turn it in to a
      > narrower street.
      >

      > Tony Carrasco

    • Tony Carrasco
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009

        Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at the GBI on Sat.

        Tony Carrasco

        CARRASCO & ASSOCIATES

        1885 El Camino Real
        Palo Alto, CA 94306
        650 322 2288 x111
        Fax: 650 322 2316

        This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the addressee named above.  If you are not a named addressee, you are notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is strictly prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify sender via return e-mail and delete it from your computer. Thank you.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
          Tony,

          What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

          Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=1423

          On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

          - Steve

          --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

          > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
          > the GBI on Sat.
          >

          > Tony Carrasco

        • irvin dawid
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
            GBI=Grand Blvd Initiative, or turning an aging, strip mall-strewn commercial artery into an attractive boulevard with thriving mixed-uses and efficient bus transit that makes walking, biking, and transit more convenient than driving.....

            and I've also got a bridge to sell you,,,,but that's the intent.

            Regards,

            Irvin Dawid
            Co-chair, Bay Area Transportation Committee
            California/Nevada Regional Conservation Committee, Sierra Club
            650-283-6534/mobile

            To: ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com
            From: cities21@...
            Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:44:53 +0000
            Subject: [ALPA_Forum] Re: 150 mph NASA PRT

            Tony,

            What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

            Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv- voice.com/ news/show_ story.php? id=1423

            On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

            - Steve

            --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

            > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
            > the GBI on Sat.
            >

            > Tony Carrasco

          • Bruce Liedstrand

              From: cities21@cities21. org
              Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:44:53 +0000

              Tony,

              What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

              Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv- voice.com/ news/show_ story.php? id=1423

              On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

              - Steve

              --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

              > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
              > the GBI on Sat.
              >

              > Tony Carrasco

            • Bruce Liedstrand

                From: cities21@cities21. org