Re: Grand Blvd Forum @ RWC's Fox, June 20 - Land Use Planning meets Climate Change Planning

  • steveraneyc21
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
      It would be neat if the El Camino corridor in PA could be transformed into something that could reduce regional driving (VMT). I wonder if any relevant success stories were pointed to at the RWC Forum that could increase my confidence.

      In my mind, I can't conclude how "bus-oriented-development" along El Camino could result in much less driving.
      1. Arlington VA is a great example of "metro-oriented-mega-development," so is not relevant.
      2. Curritiba Brazil is a great success, but is far too different from PA.
      3. In the East Bay, San Pablo Blvd hasn't been transformed into something that really reduces VMT.
      4. PA's stretch of El Camino is one street surrounded by residential. Is the plan to upzone SFH neighborhoods adjacent to El Camino? Whereas downtown PA has Hamilton, University, and Lytton, 3+ streets of mixed use. That makes a huge difference. Plus, University is walkable. El Camino is soooooooooooooo wide that I fear it will remain auto-centered and pedestrian-hostile without a much stronger solution.
      5. I think there are some portions of El Camino outside of PA that have a better chance of being transformed.

      Are there strong arguments for a more positive outlook on El Camino? I really don't see a facts based case for El Camino "BOD" being successful.

      Skeptically yours

      --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, irvin dawid <irvindawid@...> wrote:

      > Dear Planning & Transportation Commission Chairman Garber & Commissioners:During your June 24 special study session on the housing element, I mentioned this event - described below by Joint Venture Silicon Valley - the sponsor. There's also a link to the Mercury News article that appeared the next day.
      >
      > A major theme for the entire event was having all 19 cities, 2 counties, and two transit agencies plan to make the Peninsula's major throughway less of a strip mall and more of a boulevard that supports housing and transit for the region's growing population in a way that reduces greenhouse gas emissions per capita.
      >
      > Hundreds Pack Grand Boulevard
      > Public Forum
      > The
      > future of El Camino Real as a vibrant regional arterial took
      > center stage at the Fox Theatre in Redwood City on June 20 when
      > more than 350 people jammed a daylong forum to hear the vision
      > and progress of the Grand
      > Boulevard Initiative.
      > The initiative—which is led by a
      > partnership of agencies and Joint Venture—seeks to develop
      > El Camino Real as a people-centric and transportation oriented
      > thoroughfare stretching 40 miles from Daly City to San Jose.
    • irvin dawid
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
        Steve,
        The real potential of Grand Blvd, or GBI (for Initiative), lies not in transit as much as it does land use.
        I was amazed at the comments generated in PA Online about  Planning Commissioner Lippert's comments on Rudolfo's and his scorn of ECR (El Cam'Real) changes wrought by the city - Lippert, in fact, may have had it all wrong according to some readers!
        One even referred to GBI - many of the commenters are truly progressive - very, very surprising....next time I go to the site, I'll repost here...

        Regards,

        Irvin Dawid
        Co-chair, Bay Area Transportation Committee
        California/Nevada Regional Conservation Committee, Sierra Club
        650-283-6534/mobile

        To: ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com
        From: cities21@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:50:21 +0000
        Subject: [ALPA_Forum] Re: Grand Blvd Forum @ RWC's Fox, June 20 - Land Use Planning meets Climate Change Planning

        It would be neat if the El Camino corridor in PA could be transformed into something that could reduce regional driving (VMT). I wonder if any relevant success stories were pointed to at the RWC Forum that could increase my confidence.

        In my mind, I can't conclude how "bus-oriented- development" along El Camino could result in much less driving.
        1. Arlington VA is a great example of "metro-oriented- mega-development ," so is not relevant.
        2. Curritiba Brazil is a great success, but is far too different from PA.
        3. In the East Bay, San Pablo Blvd hasn't been transformed into something that really reduces VMT.
        4. PA's stretch of El Camino is one street surrounded by residential. Is the plan to upzone SFH neighborhoods adjacent to El Camino? Whereas downtown PA has Hamilton, University, and Lytton, 3+ streets of mixed use. That makes a huge difference. Plus, University is walkable. El Camino is soooooooooooooo wide that I fear it will remain auto-centered and pedestrian-hostile without a much stronger solution.
        5. I think there are some portions of El Camino outside of PA that have a better chance of being transformed.

        Are there strong arguments for a more positive outlook on El Camino? I really don't see a facts based case for El Camino "BOD" being successful.

        Skeptically yours

        --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogro ups.com, irvin dawid <irvindawid@ ...> wrote:

        > Dear Planning & Transportation Commission Chairman Garber & Commissioners: During your June 24 special study session on the housing element, I mentioned this event - described below by Joint Venture Silicon Valley - the sponsor. There's also a link to the Mercury News article that appeared the next day.
        >
        > A major theme for the entire event was having all 19 cities, 2 counties, and two transit agencies plan to make the Peninsula's major throughway less of a strip mall and more of a boulevard that supports housing and transit for the region's growing population in a way that reduces greenhouse gas emissions per capita.
        >
        > Hundreds Pack Grand Boulevard
        > Public Forum
        > The
        > future of El Camino Real as a vibrant regional arterial took
        > center stage at the Fox Theatre in Redwood City on June 20 when
        > more than 350 people jammed a daylong forum to hear the vision
        > and progress of the Grand
        > Boulevard Initiative.
        > The initiative—which is led by a
        > partnership of agencies and Joint Venture—seeks to develop
        > El Camino Real as a people-centric and transportation oriented
        > thoroughfare stretching 40 miles from Daly City to San Jose.

      • Tony Carrasco
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009

          Steve,

          It sounds like you are saying that if the buses had steel wheels and ran on rails El Camino would be transit oriented? Am I missing something? I grew up in Bombay where Busses and trains were used for commuting and the Bus system produced better walk able development.
          PA does have a plan to reduce lanes on El Camino and turn it in to a narrower street.

          Tony Carrasco

          CARRASCO & ASSOCIATES

          1885 El Camino Real
          Palo Alto, CA 94306
          650 322 2288 x111
          Fax: 650 322 2316

          This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the addressee named above.  If you are not a named addressee, you are notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is strictly prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify sender via return e-mail and delete it from your computer. Thank you.

        • tony@carrasco.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
            Btw Steve have you seen NASAs 150mph PRT at 10M/mi?

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "steveraneyc21"
            Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:50:21 -0000
            To: <ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
              NASA doesn't quite have 150 mph PRT (personal rapid transit). A 4-person company, Unimodal Skytran has a design for 150 mph PRT, but they do not have funding or a test track. My company, ATS ULTra (http://www.ultraprt.com/) has the one customer in the world for a PRT system (Heathrow Airport). 10 years ago, ATS ULTra was in the same position as Skytrans. It takes about 10 years to develop a PRT system. Two other PRT companies are pretty far along: Vectus and 2getthere.

              I've seen a picture of a semi-prototype Skytrans vehicle in a garage. I haven't seen any evidence that Skytran has any hardware at NASA Ames Moffett Field, despite recent press coverage otherwise.

              - Steve
              --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, tony@... wrote:

              > Btw Steve have you seen NASAs 150mph PRT at 10M/mi?
              > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            • steveraneyc21
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                Tony,

                I don't know how you'd make El Camino transit oriented. I can't come up with a plan to do that in Palo Alto.

                I suppose we should first say that transit oriented is really about having lots of people and mixed uses and walkability. So, I'd want adjacent streets parallel to El Camino to be part of the mixed use, walkable transformation. But these are SFH neighborhoods, so they are probably politically impossible to upzone. So it's tough to have lots of people along a robust El Camino corridor. Maybe if we went with 20 stories on El Camino?

                It think it would be super terrific if there was some way to build new residential along El Camino and have bus transit commute mode share be very high (25% or more), but I don't think that's possible.

                I would love to see an example of how to take a flawed auto-centered arterial street such as El Camino within PA and transform it into something that is TOD, but it's never been done. I specifically think we can't take examples from outside the US. Compared to other countries, US suburbanites are uniquely lazy and, in PA, their time value is very high.

                I'm stumped. I don't think the problem is bus versus steel wheels.

                I also don't think there's a credible story for narrowing El Camino. The El Camino / Page Mill intersection has something like 42,000 vehicle trips per day. Before you can narrow El Camino, you have to have a credible story about how you get folks out of their cars during commute hour, especially when you are adding many new residents to that corridor.

                I think the Grand Blvd project needs to be run by a numbers-oriented skeptic.

                - Steve

                --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

                > Steve,
                >
                > It sounds like you are saying that if the buses had steel wheels and ran
                > on rails El Camino would be transit oriented? Am I missing something? I
                > grew up in Bombay where Busses and trains were used for commuting and
                > the Bus system produced better walk able development.
                > PA does have a plan to reduce lanes on El Camino and turn it in to a
                > narrower street.
                >

                > Tony Carrasco

              • Tony Carrasco

                  NASA doesn't quite have 150 mph PRT (personal rapid transit). A 4-person company, Unimodal Skytran has a design for 150 mph PRT, but they do not have funding or a test track. My company, ATS ULTra (http://www.ultraprt.com/) has the one customer in the world for a PRT system (Heathrow Airport). 10 years ago, ATS ULTra was in the same position as Skytrans. It takes about 10 years to develop a PRT system. Two other PRT companies are pretty far along: Vectus and 2getthere.

                  I've seen a picture of a semi-prototype Skytrans vehicle in a garage. I haven't seen any evidence that Skytran has any hardware at NASA Ames Moffett Field, despite recent press coverage otherwise.

                  - Steve
                  --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, tony@... wrote:

                  > Btw Steve have you seen NASAs 150mph PRT at 10M/mi?
                  > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                • steveraneyc21
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Tony,

                    What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

                    Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=1423

                    On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

                    - Steve

                    --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

                    > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
                    > the GBI on Sat.
                    >

                    > Tony Carrasco

                  • irvin dawid

                      From: cities21@...
                      Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:44:53 +0000
                      Subject: [ALPA_Forum] Re: 150 mph NASA PRT

                      Tony,

                      What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

                      Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv- voice.com/ news/show_ story.php? id=1423

                      On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

                      - Steve

                      --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

                      > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
                      > the GBI on Sat.
                      >

                      > Tony Carrasco

                    • Bruce Liedstrand

                        From: cities21@cities21. org
                        Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:44:53 +0000

                        Tony,

                        What is GBI? I would love to see a picture of the working model at Moffett. I'm happy to drive around the area by the wind tunnel over there.

                        Here's one story on Skytran NASA Research Park: http://www.mv- voice.com/ news/show_ story.php? id=1423

                        On a Marin newspaper web chatboard, the technology founder says, "The Unimodal team has installed and is currently testing a full scale, operational passive maglev guideway and SkyTran vehicle at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View."

                        - Steve

                        --- In ALPA_Forum@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Carrasco" <tony@...> wrote:

                        > Supposedly NASA has a model that works at Moffitt. I saw a Pic of it at
                        > the GBI on Sat.
                        >

                        > Tony Carrasco

                      • Bruce Liedstrand

                          From: cities21@cities21. org