Palo Alto will consider Attorney General lawsuit against Pleasanton on Housing

  • irvin dawid
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 9:17 PM
      Cities in no rush to meet housing mandates
      http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=12903

      snips follow:
      "California's effort to require cities to provide their "fair share" of housing gained some muscle last month when Attorney General Jerry Brown sued Pleasanton over the city's housing cap.

      Palo Alto officials, like those in other Peninsula cities, note that Brown's lawsuit deals only with Pleasanton's voter-approved decision to institute a 29,000-unit housing cap, a limitation that other Peninsula cities do not have. In that sense, Brown's decision is expected to have no immediate effect on other cities.

      But at the same time, planning officials say Brown's decision to take Pleasanton to court over the housing allotment suggests that state officials are becoming more concerned with enforcing mandates dealing with housing, traffic and air quality.

      "I don't think (the lawsuit) is a concern yet, but I think we need to be aware of it," said Curtis Williams, Palo Alto's interim planning director.

      "Someone is watching the air-quality requirements, the climate-change legislation and CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) compliance.

      "It's something we'll continue to make the (planning) commission and the council aware of."

      "Palo Alto, like other Bay Area cities, gets its housing mandates from the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG), a regional planning association....ABAG determined that Palo Alto would need to build 2,860 housing units by 2014..."

      Read entire article @
      http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=12903

      Regards,

      Irvin Dawid