      From: Irvin Dawid irvindawid@...
      Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:11:09 -0800
      To: ALPA_Forum@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ALPA_Forum] Weakly: ABAG and Dense Housing in PA

      Steve L, Steve R., Jeff R., and others,
      Doesn't this all come down to a numbers argument/discussion? I mean, will
      it get any more housing built, esp. any good housing that is placed near
      retail or jobs or transit? I must admit even I have difficulty following
      this discussion - what is the appropriate number of new housing units that
      our city should plan for.....

      I am super-impressed that the city chose to break its own, self-imposed
      height limit in order to allow a fifth floor of housing, 35% being BMR,
      above an office building with ground-floor retail at the former Shell gas
      station at Alma/Lytton.

      I think a discussion about numbers can be difficult to relate to. However,
      I do like the comment made by the commenter that Steve points to below.

      Irvin Dawid
      753 Alma St., #126, Palo Alto, CA 94301
      650-283-6534 (cell)

      On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM, steveraneyc21
      <cities21@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Part of my comment:
      > I don't think we truly know if Palo Altans are in favor of 12,000 new
      > housing units to minimize regional GHG or not. The Council is clearly
      > opposed, but 2007 survey research showed a majority on the other side.
      >
      > This is a tricky question to ask. Media coverage oversimplifies the
      > discussion. Council comments deny the validity of the 3rd grade geometry
      > that regional smart growth is founded upon. Steve Levy patiently explains
      > regional planning, withstanding name-calling and character assassination
      by
      > anonymous posters.
      >
      > http://www.paloaltoonline.com/square/index.php?i=3&d=&t=17177

      http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE