      From: Shiloh Ballard <sballard@...>
      Date: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM
      Subject: Next HAC, 3/11, Pleasanton Housing Cap Lawsuit
      To: Shiloh Ballard <sballard@...>

      Dear Housing Action Coalition,

      This email serves as a reminder of our next HAC meeting on Friday, March 11th from 11am to 1pm at the Santa Clara Central Park Library, (2635 Homestead Road in Santa Clara).  Our topic this month focuses on lessons from the Pleasanton lawsuit.

      In 1996, Pleasanton voters imposed a 29,000 unit housing cap in the wake of the City’s General Plan process.  Fast forward to 2009 and only 1,500 homes could be built under the cap.  In response, Public Advocates enlisted the support of Urban Habitat and a Pleasanton school teacher to challenge the City’s policies.  The result was a reversal of Pleasanton’s policies and a requirement for Pleasanton to plan for its fair share of homes and affordable homes in particular.

      Our guest speakers this month, Vu-Bang Nguyen from Urban Habitat, Mike Rawson from Public Interest Law Project and Evvy Stivers from NPH will talk about strategies to build local support for affordable homes and lessons learned from the Urban Habitat vs. City of Pleasanton case.

      ALSO...

      We are now in the final throws of the legislature's deliberations on the budget.  It is looking very likely that the legislature will eliminate redevelopment agencies and the affordable housing funding along with it.  At this point, the best hope for saving affordable housing funding is a proposal being sponsored by Senator DeSaulnier, the Chair of the Senate Housing & Transportation Committee.  He has worked out a solution to keep the 20% set-aside for affordable housing by having money flow to regional agencies such as the Association of Bay Area Governments.

      Please take a moment to communicate your concern about the elimination of affordable housing funding and suggest that the legislature figure out a way of preserving the 20% set-aside funds.  Let them know how critical it is to do this now as opposed to eliminating the funding with the promise of a future fix.  95% of all affordable housing built in San Jose in the last twenty years was built using local RDA set-aside funds - that's how important these funds are.  (Also, you don't have to be profound in your communications to legislators.  Just send them a quick note.  And, most of them are already huge supporters, thankfully, but it wouldn't hurt to nudge them again.)

      Lastly, it is worth noting that the affordable housing community in California has done a stellar job organizing and mobilizing quickly to make sure everyone in the legislature understands the unintended consequences of eliminating redevelopment agencies.  Many HAC members have attended legislative visits, participated in the rally in the Capitol and continue to make sure people understand this issue and how to avoid it.  The message is getting through due to all our efforts but chances are slim and we have to keep pushing.

      The email addresses for our local delegation are pasted below.  If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.  More info is available at the following links:

      http://www.housingca.org/site/PageServer and

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_17539738?nclick_check=1

      LASTLY...

      Tuesday, March 8th is the due date for ballots on Measure A.  If you know anyone who lives in North San Jose, please encourage them to vote no.

      Thanks and we hope to see you at the next HAC!

      --
      Shiloh Ballard
      Housing & Community Development

      Senator.Simitian@...
      Senator.Alquist@...
      Assemblymember.campos@...
      Assemblymember.Gordon@...
      Assemblymember.Fong@...
      Assemblymember.Beall@...

      --
      Megan  Fluke
      Grassroots Organizer

      3921 E. Bayshore Road
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      (650) 390 9604
      megan.fluke@...

      Do you think your city could be greener?  Join your local Cool Cities Team, a motivated group of residents in your neighborhood who are working together to make your city a more sustainable place.  Contact me if you'd like more information.