RE: [ALBERG35] Racing headsail

  • Joe Mattea
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2013

      Thanks, Tom… I have been furling in my big headsail but, a 79yr old friend here [who wins more than his share of races]… and he’s a cheap as I am, so I don’t think he’d recommend me throw money around to purchase an add’l headsail unless he really thought I needed one… he told me that furling in a headsail during a race is a bit like trying to swin with socks on. I can’t see me shelling out $1500-2000 for a new headsail but, I was thinking of trying to find a ‘little used’ 2nd hand one that might be from between 120-135%.  I already have a 95% for sailing in 20+kt conditions. In my post I was hoping to find someone who already has a 120 or 135 or ?? … and to see what they think about it.

      Like you, on the main, I put in Reef 1 at about 15kt and Reef 2 at about 18-20kts. For info, I just put in single line reefing (one for each reef). I also added cabintop organizers/clutches/winch for Main Halyard, Reef 1, Reef 2, Topping Lift, Outhaul, Mainsheet. I do not have a traveler but, my rigger fixed me up with the ability to handle my mansheet from either the cabintop winch area or from behind the helm (my wheel is set pretty far back in the cockpit…too far back!!.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2013
        Thought I'd post an update. I found a used headsail, at a good price, which came off a Catalina. The luff size was right for my furler but, it came with hanks which I had to replace with #6 luff tape. I also added a lighter weight sunshield along the leech. I calculated out to be a 135% genoa.
        I've raced with it for 2 races so far. In <15kt winds, I think my 165% would have performed better. In last weekend's regatta, seven boats were in my class. I had a 7th (ouch), a 2nd and a 1st place. On the 7th, I was first around the windward mark (it was a W-L course) but, my crew and I became like F-troop on the downwind leg. The 3rd race was THE FIRST TIME I FINISHED 1ST IN A RACE...and, not only did we finish first with our PHRF but, we finished 1st ourright. We beat everyone across the finish line. Winds were 15-20kts.
        I'm very happy with this new (used) headsail for winds over 15kts and below ~22kts.

        --- In ALBERG35@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <jmattea@...> wrote:

        > I've been dabbling with club racing here in Oriental, NC. My primary headsail for all of my sailing (cruising, daysails, etc) is an old Auxilliary Genoa which Somerset Sails reworked for me when I added a Profurl furler a few years back. It's something like a 163% (!!!) sail. 'Normal' winds here are about 15-18kts. Was wondering if anyone uses something in the 120-135% range and what sort of performance and heeling (which produces a ton of weather helm in OLD GLORY) you'd get with what you have. With the Profurl C320, I'm down to about a 38'4" luff (max). Suggestions/Ideas???
        >
        > Joe Mattea
        > Oriental, NC (Sailing Capital of NC)
        > s/v OLD GLORY
        > 1964 Alberg 35 #88

      • lachbus
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013
          While we are at it, may I ask if anybody here tried a J105 headsail? The luff seems precisely the right length, and there are supposed to be plenty of used ones on the market, the J105s being run hard in one-design races. Anyone tried one?