Tomfoolery Refit

  • sv.tomfoolery
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
      It's been quiet here, so I thought I'd see what kind of conversation I can stir up!

      I'm sitting out this sailing season in upstate New York to do a partial refit of my Alberg 35. At present, I'm about 20-30% into the project, so I thought I'd share some information with the group and ask a few questions at the same time.

      First, feel free to stop by the "blog" I've set up to chronicle events as I get to them. Check out:

      http://tomfoolery.alberg35.org/CaptLog.php

      and follow along with my successes and missteps of the refit pathway.

      Now for the questions:

      First, have any of you looked into LED lighting? The price seems to have fallen to something less than "extortionistic" and I think it might be worth the reduced power consumption and reduced heating of the cabin to make the upgrade. Plan "A" is to simply replace the bulbs and use the existing fixtures in and on the boat. A search on the Internet today suggests that this is possible as I found what I think are viable replacements for the navigation lights. If I'm reading the bulb designations correctly, it appears that they all have the same base/socket but simply have different power (brightness) levels depending on function. Can anyone confirm this?

      For the interior lights, I have the fixtures that use what appear to be regular incandescent bulbs, but rated for 12 volts instead of 120. I've found two possible identifiers for this socket/lamp base: "A-19" and "E27". Anyone know if either of these is correct? I can get LED replacement bulbs for the E27 sockets at a reasonable price if this is correct.

      Gotta run - battery is running low on the laptop. Hope this note finds everyone well!

      Talk soon.

      Tom
    • Bruce Eastman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2011
        Hi Tom,

        We are in the midst of a major upgrade/refit in preparation for leaving Oct. 1 to join the Baja Ha-Ha cruisers rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas.  After that we will spend the winter and spring in the Sea of Cortez and mainland Mexico as far south as Puerta Vallarta, before heading back into the Sea of Cortez in the late spring.  Around the end of April we will have the boat hauled and stored on the hard and fly back to California for the summer.

        Two years ago we had new standing rigging installed, and while the mast was down we re-wired it and painted it.  I replaced the tri-color, anchor and steaming light bulbs with LED replacement bulbs from Dr. LED. Also replaced the spreader lights with a pair of Hella LED deck floodlights.  They have a cluster of  4 LED bulbs, draw 7 watts each, and light up the foredeck like broad daylight.  Plan to install one more on the radar pole to light up the cockpit.

        Our interior light fixtures are also the original 12V ones with a standard "household" style socket.  They are sort of pitted and not looking all that grand, but we didn't want to spend the money on all new fixtures, so we replaced the bulbs with a combination of Dr. LED MKII spots (Dr. LED #8001283), and round bulbs which they call the Edison Sidekick (#8001351).  They each draw 3W, and are pretty expensive even with a Port Supply discount.

        Looking forward to your progress reports.

        Regards,

        Bruce and Bridget Eastman
        SOJOURN, hull #82
      • Ric Bergstrom
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2011
          Do you like the sidekick lamps with shades?

          I have been so hesitant to get some due to the price.

          One day it likely will be all we can get!!!

          Ric Bergstrom

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2011
            Hi Ric,

            The SideKick bulbs are supposed to be equivalent to a 60W incandescent.  They give off a pleasant, soft light with the shade on (maybe not as strong as a 60W), good for general lighting, but not great for reading.

            For reading we like the Dr.LED Edison LED MKII (3W).  It is a spot, so the light is concentrated, but much brighter and more suitable for reading (at least for old eyes!).

            Bruce
          • brober29
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2011
              Hi Tom,

              I recently replaced my nav and cabin lights with LEDs. For the nav lights I used the "White Polar Star 40 MKII" from Dr.LED. These were plug n' play replacements. They go for ~$50 which isn't particularly inexpensive but with only a .08 amp draw, I thought the cost was justifiable. I've been using them all season with no issues.

              I was also reluctant to replace all the old cabin light fixtures so I went with Edison E26 style bulbs from LED Wholesalers - http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=394
              These draw .25 amps and seem to be brighter than my old 30 watt incandescent bulbs. I've seem some mixed reviews as to the quality of these bulbs but for $12.50 each I thought it was worth the risk. I have four installed so far and I haven't had any problems after 3 months. Quite a bit less expensive than the Sidekicks from Dr. LED.

              I completed the first refit phase on my 1962 A35, Auriga (# 54), over the winter. I did a pretty massive recore including the entire foredeck, a large section of the cabin-top and part of the aft deck. I also built a new rudder, installed a PYI shaft seal, faired and painted the topsides and a slew of other small projects. I did a cursory writeup of the project on the Plastic Classic Forum - http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5512 .

              This coming winter, I'm planning to attack the cabin and rig. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll keep updating here as I go as well.

              Cheers,

              Brian