Re: Depth Transducer Mounting

  • Joe Mattea
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      Andrew-
      I hope I don't overcomplicate what you are considering re- the Depth
      Transducer for your A35. I wrestled with the same issues you have
      (and were voiced in your replies).

      I took a differnt tack (pun). My boat (OLD GLORY) had the original
      (??) pair of transducers whigh were mounted on each side of the hull.
      I removed one and used the hole to mount a self-built (using a
      disposible cup with a toilet paper roll as the core to make a
      cylindrical hole in the middle). I then used the combination of
      epoxy and the threads on the transducer to tightly mount the assembly
      to the outside of the starboard side of my hull.

      If you go to the Photos section of this website, I posted a photo of
      what mine looked like before I painted it (all but the transducer)
      with bottom paint.

      It works great...but it was, admittedly, a chore to build...it was my
      first experience with WEST SYSTEM epoxy.

      Good luck.

      Joe Mattea
      Hull #88
      --- In ALBERG35@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Burcham" <andrewburcham@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like fairing is -
      generally-
      > required and that there are a couple of approaches. I suppose I'll
      just have
      > to budget a couple of lay-days to it and feel it out.
      >
      > Andrew

      Did you
      > > do
      > > something complex to have the transducer facing straight down, or
      does the
      > > angle just not pose a problem?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Andrew

      Currently the
      > > boat
      > > does not have any transducers installed; I intend to use the area
      just aft
      > > of
      > > the V-berth for this installation.
      > >
      > > I saw the project article on alberg35.org on this subject, but
      just wanted
      > > check with the list to see if anyone had other tricks. My main
      concern
      > > involves the fairing of the depth sensor.
      > >
      > > Other than bondo, what are some possibilities for easily
      providing a
      > > fairing
      > > for the transducer?
      > >
      > > Is it feasible to just mount the transducer flush with the hull
      (off of
      > > the
      > > centerline, at an angle?
      > >
      > > Any comments would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Andrew
      > >

      > > =

    • Andrew Burcham
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        Joe,

        Sorry, where can I find a picture of your assembly?

        wrote:

        > Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like fairing is -
        generally-
        > required and that there are a couple of approaches. I suppose I'll
        just have
        > to budget a couple of lay-days to it and feel it out.
        >
        > Andrew

      • weg
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007

          When I installed a holding tank on my A35 my goal was to have the overboard pump located above the waste, so if I had to work on it I wouldn’t have to take the chance of getting sewage in the bilge. (I only got sea sick once in my life and that was when I was fixing a head in rough seas). Pictures of the install are on the web site. The system works great. I used 1 ½” PVC with rubber connectors from the head to the tank. It was a challenge to drill holes behind the drawers in the v birth, but everything flows downhill. Never any complaints about smells from people sleeping on top of all that sewage. Walt