Masthead fittings

  • Chris Blain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
      Well, Lemonade is far enough along that I'm starting to think about the top of the mast...

      The current (and I assume original) mast fitting is a cast aluminum piece with a more or less "+" shaped stainless weldment on top which doesn't look terrible substantial, nor does the steel bit appear to be all that well affixed to the aluminum bit. I realize that the shrouds will do a pretty decent job of holding things down- who out there still has this setup and who has gotten rid of it in favor of something more modern? I can post pictures in the next few days if it would help...

      Cheers,
      Chris Blain
    • Thomas Alley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
        Tomfoolery still has, to my knowledge, the original masthead fitting. As I recall (I haven't been to the top of the mast in over a year), the cap was held onto the mast with a series of screws around the outside edge and the "+" strap for the upper shrouds, fore & backstay was held in place by a 1/2 inch bolt into the cap. The cap was threaded to accept the bolt and there were some groves in the cap casting to help hold everything in its proper place.

        I'd love to offer photos, but that will have to wait until the weather breaks and the boat is back in the water for the summer. I do have a side-view shot that I took some time ago, but it's hard to see any detail of the cap. Check the member pages on the web site under "Halyard Discussion".

        BTW - The internal halyards have been working very well for the past 10 years!
        Thomas Alley

        On Jan 16, 2007, at 19:03, Chris Blain wrote:

        Well, Lemonade is far enough along that I'm starting to think about the top of the mast...

        The current (and I assume original) mast fitting is a cast aluminum piece with a more or less "+" shaped stainless weldment on top which doesn't look terrible substantial, nor does the steel bit appear to be all that well affixed to the aluminum bit. I realize that the shrouds will do a pretty decent job of holding things down- who out there still has this setup and who has gotten rid of it in favor of something more modern? I can post pictures in the next few days if it would help...

        Cheers,
        Chris Blain

      • Andrew Burcham
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2007
          Chris,

          When I overhauled the mast ~5 years ago I had the arangement you describe. I
          took everything apart, cleaned it up, and put it back into service. Seems to
          be working fine so far.

          Andy