Deck stepped issue

  • Dan Luc
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      My Alberg has had water leaking into the mast support
      for apparently some time now, and has some very, very
      minor support damage. (The leak is now under control.)
      Questions for the group:

      Has anyone replaced/repaired the oak mast supports?

      Has anyone converted the deck stepped to keel stepped?

      Any descriptions of these experiences and/or photos
      would greatly be appreciated.

      Thanks all,
      DanL

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • principiab@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
        Universal (now manufactured by Westerbeke) makes a 3 cylinder, and possibly a 4 cylinder diesel engine that is the same footprint as the old Atomic 4.  I believe it requires one inch added height, but don't think that is an issue on the Alberg.  Check it out -

        This would certainly be the easiest.

        Our SPRIG (1964 / hull 85) was repowered some time ago with a Yanmar 3 cylinder that is a lot bigger and, consequently, the engine box had to be moved forward which makes the quarter berths unuseable.

        Connie Breedlove
        Ventura, CA