Barrow birds of note

  • Aaron Lang
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2013

      I just returned from three days (5-7 October) of birding in Barrow, an exciting place to bird in early October! The Ross's Gulls showed well on each day of our trip, culminating with a fine flight of hundreds of birds on 7 October after the winds switched to the NE. John Puschock's group spent more time on the beach on the 7th than our group and he estimated over 1000 that day. Snowy Owls were in short order, but there were at least 4 in the Barrow vicinity during our trip. Yellow-billed Loons were easy to come by; our high count was 15 on 5 October.

      No one recorded Spectacled Eider or Ivory Gull during our stay.

      Aside from these usual targets, there were several unusual species or dates recorded by various birders this weekend:

      ARCTIC TERN: members of our group photographed a very late Arctic Tern at Point Barrow on 5 October.

      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: an adult was with the masses of Glaucous Gulls near the end of the road to the point on 5 October.

      RED-NECKED GREBE: one of the point on 5 October and two off shore of town on 6 October.

      WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW: 1 in town on 6 October; found by of Juneau birders: Mark, Deb, Deanna, and Bev

      WHITE-THROATED SPARROW: 2! on 6 October were seen near the junction of Cake Eater and Zig Zag Road by John Puschock and his group. We tried several times to relocate the birds with no luck.

      DARK-EYED JUNCO: One along the coast east of town on 7 October, found by the Juneau birders.

      Good birding,

      Aaron Lang
      Homer