Anchor Point, Homer, and Deep Creek

  • kenaibirder
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2013
      Highlights from an hour and a half of sea watching at Anchor Point on Tuesday were 6 male COMMON EIDERS flying south, 2 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, and 2 ANCIENT MURRELETS. Later from the Homer Spit we observed a single SNOW GOOSE, an adult male THICK-BILLED MURRE with its chick (among flocks of Common Murres and their chicks), and a single GRAY-CROWNED ROSY FINCH. The next day on the Spit we saw a juvenile SABINE'S GULL among flocks of Black-legged Kittiwakes adults and juveniles. This was easily the latest one we've seen from the Kenai Peninsula. At Green Timbers we saw a single RUSTY BLACKBIRD along the bike path. Later at Deep Creek there were 1,000 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS from shore yet remarkably no other scoter species there. In contrast from Anchor Point and Homer there were good mixes of all three species. Other than corvids, passerines were very scarce at all locales we visited along the western Kenai Peninsula.

      Toby and Laura Burke
      Kenai, AK