Re: [AK Birding] Evening at Carr Gottstein Park

  • Peter Scully
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 1935
      Red-throated Pipit present this morning, close fly by in good light calling.  Working on getting a photo.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:25 PM, Isaac Helmericks <isaac.helmericks@...> wrote:

      I was back again for the evening 6-8pm. Met Aaron Bowmen there and we had a beautiful evening of birding from the bluff.

      The American Pipit flock was way out on the flats from the bluff so we didn't get any close looks at them this time. We did have one pipit fly over us at the end of the evening which called once and both Aaron and I thought it sounded right on for Red-throated Pipit. After I got back to the car I listened to flight calls and it was a perfect match. The bird was never seen on the ground so no pictures unfortunately.

      Besides the pipits the flats are still quite birdy.

      51 Trumpeter Swans
      6 Sandhill Cranes
      7 Greater Yellowlegs
      Snipe
      Pectoral Sandpipers (at least 35)
      Mallard
      Northern Pintail
      American Wigeon
      American Green-winged Teal
      Canada Geese
      3 Northern Harriers ( one an adult male "gray ghost")
      Adult Peregrine Falcon
      4 Tree Sparrows
      Large pod of Beluga Whales

      Isaac Helmericks