Seward Rarities

  • kenaibirder
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2013
      Ken and Connie Tarbox relayed to me that they also briefly saw a hummingbird while pursuing the Seward tanagers today. They did not get a diagnostic view. As far as the WESTERN TANAGERS that were seen on Thursday, we firmly believe we observed three individuals. One was a very bright eye-catching yellow individual and twenty minutes later we saw two dull individuals simultaneously thirty feet from each other. One of those two individuals had bright yellow undertail coverts but with the rest of the bird a fairly unremarkable yellow/green. The other individual had a white/gray breast with yellow restricted to the belly and undertail coverts. We were only able to secure one photo of the intermediate individual. The CEDAR WAXWING we observed was an adult. Merlins and Sharp-shinned Hawks made occasional raids.

      Toby and Laura Burke
      Kenai, AK