Ivory Gull - Anchor River - additional info

  • Eric Myers
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
      (On behalf of Melanie Smith):

      "yesterday I saw an adult IVORY GULL at Anchor Point. I spotted it at 10:30 amseveral hundred yards south of the boat launch, which was about 100 yards south of the actual point. The gull was standing mixed with a flock of GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS. It appeared suspiciously white, and then began flying its buoyant tern-like pattern above the crashing waves at the shoreline. I watched it from a close distance through binoculars for several minutes and had very good looks before it was gone. I was there two more hours and did not resight the bird.

      Also of note were a PEREGRINE FALCON, a couple flocks of SURF SCOTERS, a flock of BLACK TURNSTONES, and a GREAT-BLUE HERON.

      Melanie A. Smith
      Science Director
      Audubon Alaska