Sharp-Shinned Hawk Eagle River

  • tmurtiashaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2013
      We have a very active Sharp-Shinned Hawk frequenting our front yard here on Meadow Creek in Eagle River. It is preying on any species of bird that happens to be in the area, except for the loud mouth magpies. Yesterday (July 31) the hawk unfortunately picked off a young downy woodpecker within 10 feet of where I was standing. The hawk didn't seem bothered that I was there. It came in quick and was gone just as quick with its prey. The other woodpeckers in the yard at the time, both downy and hairy, all froze in place on their respective tree trunks. They all remained perfectly still for several minutes until they were sure it was safe to move and fly away. This morning (August 1) while sitting on the couch, I watched as a young junco struck our living room picture window. Within a split second the hawk also bounced off the same window while in hot pursuit of the junco. The hawk flew away without any prey, but I am sure it had a nice headache. The stunned junco lay on the ground for a while before regaining its senses and flying off having barely escaped death, this time.

      Tom Murtiashaw
      Eagle River, AK