Homer/Kachemak Bay Bird Alert Informaiton Line: 8-1-13

  • lani.raymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2013
      KACHEMAK BAY BIRD ALERT INFORMATION LINE(235-PEEP)
      August 1, 2013

      Our unbelievable summer weather continues here in Homer. Love it!

      On July 30th a HUDSONIAN GODWIT was seen in Mud Bay for the second evening in a row. On the 29th: WESTERN SANDPIPERS (17), GREATER YELLOWLEGS (14). On the 28th SURFBIRDS were seen on the Harbor Jetty. ON the 24th GREATER YELLOWLEGS, a family of three, were seen in Mariner Lagoon.
      One regular spit hiker has been seeing three adult SANDHILL CRANES at Greentimbers for the last few weeks.

      The Anchor Point beach has shorebirds! On the 31st there were LEAST SANDPIPERS (3), WHIMBREL (12), SURFBIRDS (36), BLACK TURNSTONES (31), PECTORAL SANDPIPERS (1) and both YELLOWLEGS species.

      There was a report of an albino (or albino-looking) BALD EAGLE in the Baycrest area on the 31st. It was flying with some other eagles so it apparently was not just the lighting that made it look so light. If anyone saw this bird, we'd love to know about it!

      Please report Sandhill Crane sightings, especially those with colts, to Kachemak Crane Watch at 235-6262 or reports@....

      IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BIRD!! Any day any time any place but especially in Homer!