Re: [AK Birding] Seward Kenai Fjord Tours

  • rccarl
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2013
      Captains choice tour. She really knows where to find the birds
      Richard Carlson
      Tucson, AZ and Lake Tahoe, CA
      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on my iPad

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2013
        Running birding tours every year in Alaska, I have found that asking for one that goes to the Chiswell Islands offers the best chance for Rhino Auklet, Thick-billed Murre and good murrelets, etc. The captains are surprisingly well-versed in birding and seem all-too-happy to take a few minutes to help the birders on board get their species. It tends to be rough(er) at the Chiswells than the rest of the tour so occasionally the captain may not feel good about going there. Best to check the weather, although they USUALLY go there, and LET THE CAPTAIN KNOW YOU’RE ON BOARD. Between the sea birds and the whales, it’s a trip you’ll never forget, and well worth the money.

        Just FYI, the other three tours I always do with my clients are the little boat trip out to Bird Island off Homer Spit, the long bus ride into Denali NP and the bus ride to the Arctic Ocean from Prudhoe. [Not as important IF you’re going to Barrow.]

        Feel free to send other questions.

        Jim, Homer

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2013
          I managed to get a ticket on board the Captains Choice to Chiswell Islands in the first week of August. I have not seen anything as yet on their web site that lists the birds typically found on an outing. I was hoping somebody might know where to look for such a list and perhaps relate the chances for some of the more pelagic species like Black-footed Albatross, Mottled Petrel, Buller's Shearwater... I figure they are rather slim but is there any hope whatsoever?

          best,

          William Leigh leightern@...

          Bridgewater, Virginia

          To: AKBirding@yahoogroups.com; kconfer12@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2013
            Not being out in the Gulf of Alaska, your chances of an albatross are practically nil. I seriously doubt the other two as well.

            You may have a little more luck on the ferry to Kodiak, but my few trips there haven�t yielded too much besides the common stuff.

            I have always wondered about the ferry to Dutch Harbor, and imagine it�d be pretty good in spots, but I suspect it�s several days, or close to a week.

            I hope some of the folks who know more than me chime in.

            Jim, looking at gobs of turnstones in Anchor Point

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
              See my june 13 ebird list for a captains choice species list. We did see Fork tailed Petrels on that trip.

              On June 17 I saw both Black footed Albatross and Mottled Petrels in the Gulf of Alaska from Holland Americas Zaandam. Storms strong enough to drive these birds to the Chiswells would probably cancel the trip, but anything is possible.

              Richard Carlson
              Tucson, AZ and Lake Tahoe, CA
              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on my iPad

            • William Leigh
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
                Looks like I may have double posted my question about the Kenai Fjord boat trip with Captain's Choice... apologies! Multitasking during lunch break can cause problems.

                Many thanks to all who have responded!

                best,

                William Leigh leightern@...

                Bridgewater, Virginia