Seward Caspian Tern!

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 4:11 PM
      Seward Alaska Sporadic Bird Report

      Wednesday, July 10, 2013

      When is a gull not a gull? When it has a huge red bill, black cap, dark underside primaries, and slightly forked tail! I finally found a CASPIAN TERN, a Life Bird, in Seward! This is not the first sighting for Seward, but I never was lucky to see any in previous years.

      I'm sure others must have seen it as it flew effortlessly right over the busy harbor this afternoon, along the crowded waterfront and campers, and seemed to head down towards Lowell Point.

      I checked the fisheries bay bird feeder just south of the boat harbor. It was loaded with BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS, MEW GULLS, and a few DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS. It's a good spot and worth checking frequently.

      The other seafood processor at the start of Lowell Point Road was not processing, and had zero birds, but that could change as fishing boats come in to unload.

      I was so startled at seeing this oddity, I only got a few bad photos from a distance.
      I'll be looking for it and hoping to get some better images.

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
    • Jim Stevenson